Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

THE SCAMMERS ARE STILL OUT THERE.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I got an e-mail this morning offering to buy a car I have for sale on E-bay with the usual "pay my price and their shipping payment is included" Please tell me, that with all of the publicity there has been about this, no one is biting on this scam. I replied that his deal is acceptable only if he pays by PAYPAL. I don't expect to hear from him.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 11:46
 Top  Print   

Re: THE SCAMMERS ARE STILL OUT THERE.
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
you are 100 % correct..I'm looking for a set of 1911 model T sidelights for one of my buds overseas..Soooo I put an ad in the Model T Restorers club..Yeah I got three from all places the UK..in all cases they wanted a money order or western union...none had paypal accounts.

Now you can eventually find a nice set for about 400 bucks.
so i decided to have some fun..I told the one guy thanks but Im negotiating for a set and its a good deal at 1,500
Within in an hour he said I have a nice set for 1,200. I said send a picture etc...no reply or pic from him. said he didnt have a camera to take pic...yeah right.!!!!.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
I recently found a pair of tail lights for my '57 Clipper. I was told that for "only" $1200.00 (shipping NOT included), I could have them. Oh, and by the way, it was supposed to be a money -transfer! I replied to go and bilk someone with a lower IQ, haven't heard anything since.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 1:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Scottie..

go and bilk some one else

this is a public forum..and my reply was a bit stronger..
and that "he could go .....himself.."

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Sanford, don't exactly understand your post.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Scottie, I think Sanford meant to post it this way:

Scottie..

Quote:
go and bilk some one else

this is a public forum..and my reply was a bit stronger..
and that "he could go .....himself.."

I do believe that Sandford was quoting your post and is meaning that his reply wouldn't have been as nice as yours. I may be wrong, but I believe that no offense was meant towards you.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Scottie/Tubro

Thanks Turbo..dont know how to put in quotes yet

Scottie..Turbo is correct not directed at you..but my language to scammers is a bit stronger...lolo

Posted on: 2010/1/9 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Thanks guys. I was kinda wondering there for a minute... I believe that I actually told him to "consume feces and expire". I find it amusing to use different words to express more common and crude expressions. Sometimes, when dealing with less intelligent people, the end result is hilarious. I remember telling one poor sod once that "the paucity of your intellect is astounding", to which he thanked me profusely! Sometimes, the English language is just wonderful....

Posted on: 2010/1/10 12:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I had the same experience when I was looking for a tranny for my '41, all with UK addresses. They all had "the part I was looking for in good condition in stock, shipping included. They all had prices 1ess than what shipping sould be!

Posted on: 2010/1/10 15:08
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I have a boat for sale on ebay/craigslist right now and a set of wheels for my father in law. 3 scammers so far (like 3 days) saying they'll send a check for the whole amount plus shipping and i pay the shipper, etc.

I said cool and can't wait and i'll take the ad down when the check gets here, make it out to me and here's my address.

I expect to get a nice collection of fake bank checks shortly that i can frame and tell stories about.

There WAS that one time that a scammer offered to buy a laptop off our company for $1500 (300 over asking price) with a stolen credit card. We ran it and it cleared and shipped a 15 year old broken laptop to africa and they paid $300 in customs fees to pick it up and accept it.

The merchant processor said later it was stolen and we said "well, we're out a laptop! that's what we pay you for" Our processor and the credit card company ate it, we got the 1500 minus processing fees and the 50 bucks we mailed to the poor lady who's card got stolen (to cover her liability) and minus shipping. All in all a nice days work and profit AND the scammers got screwed out of $300, and the little old lady got her 50 to break even.

Edit: They did it all through TTY for the deaf relay services. We used to get like 1 call a week trying that scam with us. After that, 5 years later, we haven't received another call.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 15:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved