Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pertronix in 6v cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Would like to relate my experience with Pertronix in my 51 200 I have had for many year and driven 40k+ miles.

Put the Pertronix in last summer and noticed that the car started somewhat faster, usually "ruh", instead of "ruh-ruh"--quite pleased. Gas mileage stayed the same, which could be realisticly expected as I keep the car in decent tune. Performance did seem to be a bit sharper at high speeds, 80-90 mph, but that may have been psychological.

The aggravation came with cold weather: the car would crank over nicely but not fire. Sometimes just as I let off the starter it would fire while the engine was still rolling. This spring I could get no joy when I got the car out of storage even tho she was cranking quite decently. With a 12v jump, she lit on half a turn. This past (chilly)Sunday morning I ended up driving the Kaiser to church as the Pack cranked vigorously with no joy.

So I assume that the Pertonix will not trigger if the voltage falls only a very little below 6v, such as when the starter is churning cold thick oil. My buddy with the 54 Pat has the same experience.

So Sunday afternoon found me putting points back in the car. Ruh ruh vroom. Comments?

Posted on: 2010/3/31 7:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Pertronix in 6v cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not a see-all e-ignition expert. Claims from a few well seasoned automotive men i know have indicated that some piece or part of the e-ignition components require a minimum of 5.2v to work. Also the e-ignition for any type of performance enhancement is a moot point on engines under 8:1 compression.

Of course it begs the question as to why are there not e-ignition components redesigned to trigger at say 2.2 volts for 6v applicatations???? I don't know the answer to that one yet.

e-ignition is not somekind of great modern technological break thru. It is based on something called the Hall effect that was discovered ca. 1900.

Much of the so-called 'modern' technology and aftermarket gadgets and gizmos are mostly just gimmicks relative to economy and performance enhancement. HRM hype at best.

Other than materials and a few manufacturing processes even the modern automobile is little more than just a lite weight compacted version of cars that stemmed out the HP reveloution of 1955.

Or to put it another way:

When it gets to where one can not reach down and turn a window crank or file a set of points then it's probably time to give up driving and take a taxi.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 8:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
If u want the quick start try setting the ignition timing about 3 to 5 degrees more advanced than oem spec. Should give better hi rpm performance and economy too.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 9:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Ross

The go, no-go, voltage of the Pertronix is 4.5v. This is measured at the unit. When cold temp, slower the starter cranks the higher it's amp. draw, it is easy for the voltage to drop below 4.5 at the unit. Remember that there are about a dozen connection points in the complete ignition circuit that are a possible voltage drop.

In my experience , any electronic ignition will show up any weakness in the electrical system wiring very quickly.

The fact that it will sometimes start when you let off the starter is a sign that the voltage at the Pertronix was at 4.5v or below.

The best, for low voltage tolerance, electronic ign. that I have tested had a cutoff of 4v, none less then that in my experience.

John

Posted on: 2010/3/31 9:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A normally charged and idle 6-volt battery should have about 6.6 volts at typical room temperatures. Using data provided by Delco and AutoLite for starters in the late 6-volt era, energizing a starter motor against a "locked" engine draws around 800-900 amps and drops battery voltage to about 4.5 volts. Thus I wouldn't be at all surprised that in cold conditions, perhaps exaggerated with heavy oil, a battery voltage would drop during cranking to perhaps as low as 5 volts.

Personally, I rather enjoy the job of periodically removing the distributor, checking the bushings and advance mechanisms, lubricating where needed, and installing new points & condensor. I agree with Packard V8 and to paraphrase him, when I can no longer do this, it's time to take a taxi.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Pertronix and other e-ign manufactureres are laying down on the job relative to the 6v applications.

Why not add to the e-ign circuit a 3hree or 4our flashlite batteries to supplement the trigger when voltage drops????

Replace batteries once a year.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 10:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
One serious downside that I have heard about and trust to be true is that if Pertronix ignition is left on accidently the unit will destroy itself with heat into a melted mess. I have accidently left the ignition on completely draining the battery with original point system with no problem other than recharging the battery and burning the points which are less expensive.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
I've been considering using a pertronix unit in my 48 but haven't done so. I'm still on the points. I don't drive the Packard in real cold weather so that shouldn't affect me much. I did install one in my mother's 73 Buick and it works ok, even in dead of winter. But, that's a 12v car...

Posted on: 2010/3/31 19:42
Nothing says "America" like pistons the size of coffee cans turning dead dinosaurs into hydrocarbons!
Deluxe 8 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved