Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Gear start vs not
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I understand the later '54s with Gear start had some of the issues of the later Twin Ultra... is it desirable to find an earlier '54 to avoid the problems or are the weaknesses of the GS fairly simple to deal with? At about what time did the switch to the GS occur during the model year? Maybe a thread on this here already? ... looked but didn't see one.

Posted on: 2010/12/27 16:49
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Gear start vs not
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Anybody? No answers or opinions?

Posted on: 2010/12/28 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You won't be able to use any Ultramatic with your six as the pilot in the back of the crank is not big enough to accept the nose of the torque converter. You are stuck with stick.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Understood. No issue here with a 6/stick combo, was just contemplating a '54 w/ straight 8 in case it turns out to be impractical to do a 6cyl conversion in a 54/55, and was actually addressing the viability of the GS Ultramatic vs. earlier version.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 8:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Traditional Ultramatics behind the in-line 8s had probably as good a reliability as any of the other early automatics. You don't HAVE TO take advantage of the gear-start complication, I suspect driving in the conventional Ultramatic mode will minimize susceptibility to the gear-start concerns. On my Twin Ultramatic, I very rarely use the optional "3-speed" mode.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Very interesting point, I hadn't considered the possibility of using the GS in a way thats avoid any incipient issues, thanks.

Posted on: 2010/12/29 10:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved