Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Changing from Junior to senior gauges
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Has anyone changed their junior instrument cluster to one from a senior model? There are some good benefits to be gained such as oil and generator gauges vice warning lights. They also appear to be more pleasing to the eye.

To do the change, I noticed that I can't just swap out the individual instruments, I need to replace the entire instrument cluster. This is because the 'junior' cluster doesn't have gauge openings for the oil and generator gauges. I also noticed that the oil sending units are different as well. Does the wiring need to be altered as well? How about the voltage regulators both instrument and under the hood?

I have purchased an instrument cluster and working clock from a '56 senior Packard on ebay. My current junior speedometer has gone TU and if I'm going to fix it, I may as well go the distance and install the whole instrument cluster.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:24
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Changing from Junior to senior gauges
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Cluster will bolt in. Does your Clipper speedo have the trip milage section? If not, senior will so that cable and knob needs to mount under dash edge. Hole should be there near ign key. Instrument regulator the same. If the cluster is complete, feed wires connecting regulator to all gauges should be there. If you have to use your old regulator and wires, then a jumper from regulator or other gauge post will have to be added for oil gauge feed. Oil sender will have to change but wire will be reused.

Biggest issue is the ammeter. You will have to run suitable gauge wire to put the ammeter in series between the bat connection at solenoid and the bat connection at regulator. The heavy gauge wire does come under the dash but not all the way to gauge. You can try and find the proper splices or maybe use an alternative such as the headlight switch or fuse block as pickup places since they are the same wires. You should be able to use the Autolite regulator but there will be a change in that bat wire. The circuit is essentially the same minus the heavy gauge wire to ammeter and now unused small wires for idiot light. Just do a careful study of the wiring diagram. Fortunately both are laid out side by side so you can compare solid vs dotted lines to see what needs to change or where you might conveniently pick up the same wire in the open instead of a splice. Interestingly, Packard used the same diagram for 55-6 even though polarity changed. If ammeter reads backwards after you're done, just swap the wires.

Of course, now with a senior clock and senior gauges aren't you going to need a senior radio dial to keep the colors constant.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 17:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The Clipper speedo doesn't have a 'trip meter' so I'll see if the senior odometer can be changed to match my old mileage. I thought that the wiring would need some tweaking from the wiring diagrams. Now it's confirmed with your excellent explanations. I did anticipate the oil sender difference and got a used one from the same instrument cluster source.

It's funny that you mentioned the radio. I just got mine back from Bob's Radio Restoration in Californiahttp://www.bobsradio.com I had the works done (AM mono to AM/FM/Aux Input w/4 channel stereo. Modern unit without changing the original factory AM wonderbar look. The wonderbar works better than ever. The unfortunate thing is that I had it done before I thought of changing the gauges, it's still got the dark dial face

My car is having the interior completely reupholstered and repainted. While it's happening, now is my chance to complete the instrument cluster change (ease of access). I'll keep you posted on the progress and include some final pictures.

Posted on: 2011/3/10 19:29
Bob

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My I ask how much "Bob" charged you to convert your radio?

Posted on: 2011/3/10 22:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The charge for the radio conversion was on the expensive end, about $600. I know that is a lot, but I was tired of only listening to static filled talk shows on AM. I would usually leave the radio off and stare at a useless part of my car. Now I can listen to static free AM talk shows

Posted on: 2011/3/11 6:33
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Biggest issue is the ammeter. You will have to run suitable gauge wire to put the ammeter in series between the bat connection at solenoid and the bat connection at regulator. The heavy gauge wire does come under the dash but not all the way to gauge. You can try and find the proper splices or maybe use an alternative such as the headlight switch or fuse block as pickup places since they are the same wires. You should be able to use the Autolite regulator but there will be a change in that bat wire. The circuit is essentially the same minus the heavy gauge wire to ammeter and now unused small wires for idiot light. Just do a careful study of the wiring diagram. Fortunately both are laid out side by side so you can compare solid vs dotted lines to see what needs to change or where you might conveniently pick up the same wire in the open instead of a splice.

I hope you don't mind but I'm still a little confused and need further help. I looked at the wiring diagram and noticed that the 'Clipper' voltage regulator Bat connection (dotted circuit 1A-1C) join w/circuit 1 (the Bat connection on the starter solenoid) at a splice under the hood. If I separate 1A and 1C from the splice and join them, it becomes the same as the 'senior' circuit #2. I then must run a heave guage wire from the inside splice (the one to the headlight switch, etc.) to the ammeter. I then must run a new heavy gauge wire from the ammeter to the splice under the hood (becoming the new circuit 1, 1A-1B).

Is there an easier way to join the heavy gauge ammeter wires under the dash without bothering the under hood splice?

Posted on: 2011/3/14 11:04
Bob

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with your scenario.

Originally, I was going to suggest the easiest and safest way would be to run both new wires but with the one available for sure under the dash, didn't think about it much more. You can pick up either 1D or 1F from headlight switch or ign switch for one terminal as you plan. The problem trying to use the other original wire is finding the splices without totally tearing up the loom. Packard shows them schematically but as many have found, they can be several feet away from where you would think looking at the schematic.

Would suspect that one in question is under the dash since by moving a couple of wires there they could go to either the 1 junction or the 2. Having said that, Packard manufacturing may have found it easier to place it somewhere far away where there is not as much bulk. If loom is accessible and you can pull off a foot or so of wrap, might be worth a look.

If that doesn't find it, then think I would use a complete new wire for the other. Cut, tape, abandon the light bulb wires and also the old 1C at regulator would be my suggestion. Pick up some non-adhesive harness wrap and just wrap a single wire outside the original harness leg to the regulator.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 15:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The car's interior is 'gutted' at the moment and I can really access under the dash to work. Under the hood will definately be a challenge, but I have lots of time to do it right (like Mike Holmes says

I am shooting for one fancy Executive. My 83 y/o mom will be out here in May and I want her to experience it. My dad bought her one in 1956. It was sold for lack of parts in 1968

Posted on: 2011/3/14 16:02
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You realize of course that the first thing your mother will say is: "This isn't like my car at all. The gages are the wrong color."

Posted on: 2011/3/14 19:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
You're so right about my mom, she's still making sure I toe the line. I'm sure that she'll approve the changes that I've made. The only visible difference between my 56 Exec and my mom's will be the car color code (mine CA and hers DA), the gauge dial color, and the current brake pedal mod. I'm hoping the brake pedal modification will disappear when I can install your new bracket assembly.

I forgot one more difference, I added seat belts (I can't drive on base w/o them).

Posted on: 2011/3/14 20:18
Bob

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved