Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

REMOVING BODY, 2 DR COUPE
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

efmautoclutch
See User information
Anybody give me some tips on removing the body? Will it come off in 1 piece?

The floor is almost all gone, rotten, dont want to put a tow motor fork thru the door, anybody have any suggestions?

1938 2 dr coupe.

Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.69 KB)
3569_4da0f0d33996b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/4/9 18:50
 Top  Print   

Re: REMOVING BODY, 2 DR COUPE
Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
The body is the portion from the firewall back. To remove it first remove the hood by removing the fasteners to the grille shell and cowl, then remove the bolts attaching the rear edge of the front fenders to the running boards. Remove the running boards, the captive bolts going to the running board brackets are a bear if they are rusty. You may and may not have to remove the rear fenders.

Remove the bolts that attach the body to the frame, rusty rounded heads make the job difficult. Lift the front of the body from the frame and put a strong 2x6 under the body, do the same at the rear above the rear axle. Use a suitable set of jacks to jack the body up.

It sounds a lot easier than it is. If you are going to save the body and restore it, suggest yoiu brade the body or it may collapse i fthe wood is shot.

Good luck

Posted on: 2011/4/9 21:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

efmautoclutch
See User information
Thanks for the help, any tips on how to get the hood off? I see heads of nuts under the cowling on top of the radiator, the then round bar that holds the hood hinge, the running boards are off, all body mount bolts cut off, wood is rotted or gone.

The drive train and frame is sold, so I just want the body, which needs a lot of work, I just don't want to make more work for my self then needed.

I am confused about the bolts on the cowling, radiator area and how to take off the hood center area.

Thanks.

Garry@efmautoclutch.com

Posted on: 2011/4/10 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
If it's anything like my 38 there are 3 nuts up under the dash that hold the center portion of the hood on.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 10:03
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved