Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1930 7-45 suspension dampers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
When I bought my 7-45 Phaeton, I never noticed that it was missing its front suspension dampers even though I took a picture when I viewed it - extract attached.

I had a few questions for the previous owner and mentioned to him that they were missing. While he was looking in his workshop for them I learned that Kanters wanted over $3000 for a pair!

Anyway, he found them and posted them to me.

They seem in great conditions - just a repaint needed but before I fit them I want to change the oil in them.

The service book makes no reference to the type of oil - it only says they are filled at the factory and normally dont require maintenance.

Anyone know what type to put in them?

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (81.64 KB)
3518_4da42eb456258.jpg 992X612 px

Posted on: 2011/4/12 5:56
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 7-45 suspension dampers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You're lucky he found them - they are not easy to locate. Many folks use hydraulic jack oil which you should be able to buy at any auto parts supply store. I've used Mobil Hydraulic oil DTE-24 (SAE 10) for many years and would recommend it if you can find it. Yet others use motorcycle fork oil which apparently is satisfactory. If they leak excessively you might try a SAE 20 hydraulic oil like Mobil's DTE-25, but a rebuild might be in the cards.

Fill to the bottom of the filling port, work the arm up and down a few times to expell any trapped air, and check the level again and top off if needed.

CORRECTION: Mobil DTE-25 is an SAE 20 hydraulic fluid, not SAE 30. Sorry

Posted on: 2011/4/12 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Thanks Dave - sage advice as ever!

Posted on: 2011/4/12 8:22
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Please post a picture of what he sent. Many of the 1930 cars were retrofitted with the 1931 shocks. Yours should look like this (only a little cleaner). I found these (along with the rears) and paid about $100, then had them rebuilt for another $400~).

Attach file:

jpg  (119.09 KB)
404_4da453d196723.jpg 1080X810 px

Posted on: 2011/4/12 8:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave ,
Whats the difference between sae 30 engine oil and sae 30 hydraulic oil? How good is it in stopping leaks on the Delco Lovejoys with just a bit of a leak?
Thanks
Terry

Posted on: 2011/4/12 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
kts68, note my correction to my post above, the higher viscosity Mobil hydraulic oil is SAE 20, not 30.

Chemistry of lubricating oils and hyraulic oils not an area I'm particularly familiar with, but we have a couple of other chemists who visit here, so perhaps they have more info.

There are many varieties of hydraulic oils for all manner of specific applications. They vary from simple vegetable oils like Canola up to pure synethetics mostly for aerospace and aircraft use. But the general run-of-the-mill hydraulic oils are based on mineral oil with additives to enhance various properties. Most important properties are low compressibility, ease of de-aeration, low foaming, etc. so additives are added to enhance these properties, plus for compatibility with materials of construction, etc.

Motor oils (non-synthetic) are based on particular cuts from crude oil, again with all manner of additives to control foaming, reduce friction and corrosion, and control viscosity range as a function of temperature.

Personally, I'd never even consider substituting a motor oil in an application that calls for a hydraulic oil.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 11:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
This is one of the dampers as received (loose fitted just for the photo)

Clearly they were fitted (same paint finish) but removed for some reason over the last few years.

It looks the same as your "slightly dusty!" version....

Attach file:

jpg  (133.96 KB)
3518_4da477a068e7c.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2011/4/12 11:03
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Any maker's identification? Lovejoy? Delco?

The shocks on my 34 are adjustable for resistance from a dash control (Ride Control) which was a later feature. But it is remarkable how effective they are and how much you feel the range of differences from the softest to the firmest ride. Far as I know they've never been off the car, at least not in the 48 years I've owned it. Every couple of years I check them for fluid; one or two may take a squirt but no visible leaks.

One might hope yours were off the car and rebuilt, but with the paint still on them, not likely. Perhaps they were removed in anticipation of having them rebuilt. Several very good places here in the US that do that, Apple Hydraulics perhaps the best-known, also Five-Points. Probably some good shops in the UK that do that as well. Not inexpensive to have done but as a preliminary you could fill them on the bench and check for resistance, and perhaps get an indication of whether they leak excessively though normally that takes a lot of cycles up and down to see.

Posted on: 2011/4/12 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
kts68, note my correction to my post above, the higher viscosity Mobil hydraulic oil is SAE 20, not 30.

Personally, I'd never even consider substituting a motor oil in an application that calls for a hydraulic oil.

Thanks Dave,

I have looked into the Mobil type you suggested but it is strange how often products available in the USA, from global brands like Mobil, are not available in the UK and vice versa.

On this occasion I can obtain the Mobil Mobil DTE-25 but it seems only in large drums.

There are plenty of alternative mineral hydraulic oils so I will take your (revised) advice and go shopping at the weekend.

The other thing that seems to be popular there but not available here is

Westley Bleche White (or something like that)

In fact white walls are so rare in the UK that I have only found 2 suppliers of paint - one imports white rubber paint from Iceland but at $45 for 250ml its a bit steep!

The other is a lady who makes acrylic paint herself and sells on ebay at ?7 per 250ml. I bought one just to see if her claims stack up and it is fabulous! it goes on really thin, is very white and very opaque, perfectly flexible and, for now seems hardwearing. Stange how some things still can surprise.....

Regards

Ken

Posted on: 2011/4/12 11:25
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Any maker's identification? Lovejoy? Delco?

The shocks on my 34 are adjustable for resistance from a dash control (Ride Control) which was a later feature. But it is remarkable how effective they are and how much you feel the range of differences from the softest to the firmest ride. Far as I know they've never been off the car, at least not in the 48 years I've owned it. Every couple of years I check them for fluid; one or two may take a squirt but no visible leaks.

One might hope yours were off the car and rebuilt, but with the paint still on them, not likely. Perhaps they were removed in anticipation of having them rebuilt. Several very good places here in the US that do that, Apple Hydraulics perhaps the best-known, also Five-Points. Probably some good shops in the UK that do that as well. Not inexpensive to have done but as a preliminary you could fill them on the bench and check for resistance, and perhaps get an indication of whether they leak excessively though normally that takes a lot of cycles up and down to see.

I'm only changing the oil as it seems the right thing to do. Theres is still oil in them, no visible signs of leaks and there seems to be resistance on the arm, so I assume they work fine.

The reason they were off the car (for 6 years!!) is unexplainable. I should point out that the previous owner has some 75 cars ranging from an MX5 (Miata to you!) to Rolls Royce Phantoms previously owned by Grace Kelly and Lord Rothschild as well as a ?250,000 Aston Martin DB5. I guess the collection is worth at least ?2 million.

But heres the thing, he has grown this collection from nothing in less than 10 years and employs 16 drivers and a couple of full-time "mechanics". He never drives the cars and he was genuinely unaware that the Packard had been in service for 6 years with no shocks and was pretty annoyed that his "mechanic" knew they were in a box in the workshop when he asked about them, but never thought to do anything about it! Apparently "changes will be made...."

So anyway, I will clean then up, repaint then and get them back on. It will be interesting to see if they make any difference. I have driven the car without them and it seems fine - its so heavy that there doesnt seem to be any "bounce" anyway but of course I have nothing to compare it to.

Ken

Posted on: 2011/4/12 11:37
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved