Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 230

Paul E. Gallagher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Clipper Deluxe Rubber Replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
One of the first things I need to do to this car is replace just about every piece of rubber in the suspension and steering. I'm looking for a good source for these. I know about Steele Rubber Co. but I don't know of any others.

Also, has anyone replaced with urethane bushings instead? It would be the last time you'd ever have to do it.

Just curious.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 15:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Clipper Deluxe Rubber Replacement
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've bought various rubber parts from Steele for decades for a very large variety of Packards and must say I've always been extremely satisfied with the precision of fit and appearance. But I can't say the same for the performance of the suspension parts, they don't seem to last very long at all.

I've tried buying urethane rod stock, freezing it and lathe turning it for some simple bushings, but this really is not all that rewarding. I've been thru PST's catalog a few times looking for pieces that will fit in various Packards, but w/o success. If you come up with any urethane substitutes, I think all of here would love to get the details.

Posted on: 2008/2/22 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

I've tried buying urethane rod stock, freezing it and lathe turning it for some simple bushings

Wow, I like your style! I'll be sure to share anthing I find when freshening up the chassis and suspension.

Posted on: 2008/2/23 13:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For the main sway bar bushings on my '54 Clipper, I am using ones from Energy Suspension that are Poly bushings. But then again I had to make a spacer/adapter that allowed be to use a modern universal style bracket. That same thing would work on the '55 Clipper. BUT I had to order the replacement sway bar end link bushings from Steelerubber.

Posted on: 2008/2/23 19:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I'm leaning towards that route as well for the sway bar. It looks like the sway bar took a hit on the passenger side and the bracket is a little bent. I can't say that I'm surprised it's bent. Those things look pretty flimsy and they hang down so far out in front, it's just a matter of time before they're smacked by something. A couple of new inner brackets and some universal bushings seem like the way to go.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 13:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You just need to make a spacer to maintain the original swaybar position. I made both spacers from a 2" x 6" x 12" bar of aluminum.

Posted on: 2008/2/24 14:34
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I love to see a picture of it if you get a chance. In fact I'd bet that there are plenty of mods people have done like this. Maybe a new forum category for custom mods? Or should we post them to the "tech tips" articles?

Posted on: 2008/2/24 14:45
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Here is a picture of the bracket. More info can be found in my project blog.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.48 KB)
1_47c1d5e31c5d9.jpg 500X276 px

Posted on: 2008/2/24 15:38
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
That's awsome! Creations like this should have their own threads. I'm going to have to check out your blog for the details.

Thanks Kev!

Posted on: 2008/2/24 22:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved