Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Mr.D, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

To early to be true?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

In April 2011 John (423reed) published the above shown picture in the photo archive, accompanied by the description: "1941 PACKARD ASSEMBLY LINE-B&W"

Since that time three related comments have been posted:

"With that grill, is it a 41 line or possibly a postwar 21st series line." (HH56)

"This is not the 1941 assembly line. Note the grille and parking lamps." (packards1)

"The Packard in the fore ground of the photo is a 21st Series 6-cylinder while the ones in back are 8-cylinder models. This assembly line photo would have to have been taken in 1946 or 1947." (JW)

I think that the caption is correct, the pic could have been taken in 1941. Both the grille in front and the wrapped around grille were offered in 1941.

Edit: BigKev, it looks like a nice mistake that the names of commentators are hidden in the photo archive. To make them visible one has to move the mouse over the seemingly empty field.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.10 KB)
757_4e3030b94f012.jpg 500X462 px

Posted on: 2011/7/27 10:12
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: To early to be true?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I guess it is possible they had the wide spaced center grill in 41. There is a picture in the photo archive with one and labeled as a 41. The Clippers I remember seeing as definitely prewar have all had the narrow spaced bars in the center section.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
All 41-42 Clippers had the "narrow tooth" grille, the vehicles pictured are post war 46/47 with the side tooth grille #383540. There is understandable confusion as the 41-47 Packard parts book lists that number for ALL 41-47 Clippers .Packard obviously superceded it, perhaps so 41-42 owners would gain the prestige of having a car that was 5 years newer looking.

When Packard superceded a part with a later number it is usually noted in the parts book (supercedes 321XXX). I have no idea why this was ot done in this case.

This forum is great, always learning something.

EDIT: The part number for the narrow spaced 41-2 narrow spaced grille is 371214 which appears in the numerical listing on the back of the parts book but not in the group.

No, '46-7 grilles were not available in '41 just like V-12 engines were not available in 1929. Revisionist history does not fly in PACKARDLAND.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 10:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Fred is correct, this is not a 1941 photo.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 11:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved