Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 210

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

De-greasing Rocker Arm Assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
I've finally begun working on my '55 Clipper Super and aside from de-rusting various parts with Evapo-Rust..(Thanks for the review of this product BigKev!) I also removed the left rocker arm cover and low and behold..to no surprise..the rocker arms are covered with greasy sludge...not enough to scrape off just stuck on.. What are your suggestions for cleaning up this mess?

Posted on: 2011/11/6 18:17
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Re: De-greasing Rocker Arm Assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They're pretty much out of favor these days due to environmental issues, but a vapor degreaser is an outstanding method. Otherwise, solvent soaking & cleaning with brushes still works.

Posted on: 2011/11/6 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Regardless of how you clean them, you have to remove them to do so. One of the design decisions about the V-8 that I don't like is that in order to remove the rocker shaft assy, you have to remove 4 head bolts. Those are really long bolts and as far as I've been able to determine, one cannot find new replacements in the aftermarket. Also, removing those bolts "unloads" the cylinder head clamping force and thereby may lead to a blown head gasket.

Maybe you ought to just leave them on there. What is that stuck-on grease hurting?

Craig

Posted on: 2011/11/6 20:06
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
You're right. Too much trouble and it's not hurting anything.
Just will let the fresh oil clean things up.
Thanks for your input!

Posted on: 2011/11/6 20:25
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Cleaning the rocker arms is a major chore.

1. I've never blown a head gasket as a result of removing the rockers. Could happen, just hasn't happened to me

2. When removed and disassembled, many rocker arms need the tips reground.

3. Guaranteed, they're just as dirty inside the shafts as outside. Pulling the soft plugs at the ends of the shafts is a real pain. It requires a long wire brush driven by a drill motor to get all the crud out of the inside.

jack vines

Posted on: 2011/11/6 21:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved