Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Jeff's 56 Clipper Sedan Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
This project shouldn't be all that difficult. The chrome is stripped, and the car is going for a re-paint soon. Then, we'll be looking to re-plate/polish the chrome and put it back on.

The driver's door glass needs to be replaced.

There are some rust issues. Not too much, but it looks to be too much trouble to go through cutting it all out and re-welding new sheet metal. Instead, we'll treat it and hope it lasts for a good while.

The goal? A very pretty daily driver.

Pics will follow.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 21:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Jeff's 56 Clipper Sedan Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Here's one.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.94 KB)
1168_4f4844305e9c0.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2012/2/24 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Another.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.67 KB)
1168_4f48454e235b5.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2012/2/24 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Another.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.92 KB)
1168_4f48464a021ae.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2012/2/24 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Rust.

Attach file:

jpg  (75.70 KB)
1168_4f484797e1c9a.jpg 1280X765 px

Posted on: 2012/2/24 21:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
That last picture is the worst of the rust. I posted a request for opinions/advice in the V-8 forums. I was told West Systems G-Flex and POR-15 were probably about as good as it gets, short of replacing metal.

What would be good to know is how best to prep a surface in this condition before applying stuff like that. It seems the rust might be too bad to hold up through a wire wheel and that too much surface would be lost, preventing the ability to apply either G-Flex or POR-15. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, how do you go about removing the door handles and front and back windshield moldings?

Thanks.

Edit. Also, I recall seeing a service bulletin somewhere which described a design/part issue that tended to cause door glass to break if the door was closed while the window was rolled down. Does anyone know where it is? I can't find it.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 21:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Jeff, nice car. The '56 is my favourite amongst the Clippers. Best of luck to you on the re-build. Love to see some pictures of the interior.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 22:57
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The molding instructions are in the body section of SM but frankly, IMHO you risk some damage removing the windshield molding and they are a royal pain to reinstall since they're held in by the rubber. If the rubber is hard as well, you can crack the windshield or destroy the rubber trying to pry things. The rear is held in by bolts on the bottom and the rubber. Door handles are held in by clips on the inside of door which slide into grooves in the handle assy. Be forewarned, if they have not been removed before or at least in a long time, the clips are usually rusted in place, very hard to remove and because the rust weakens them, easily damaged. A different clip for each door and even the repros are expensive. Remove the inner door panel, locate the clips in the handle and door slot capture area. Soak the blazes out of them with some penetrating oil for a few days before even attempting removal. Use a long screwdriver or similar and gently hammer the end to push the clips out from inside the door rather than trying to use the protruding tab on door edge to pull them out.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 23:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
HH gives sound advice. There is a trick to replacing the windshield molding. When Owen had his Caribbean painted they removed all the chrome and his restorer said he found a trick to reinstall the chrome, but he did not tell Owen. It took me a long time and much dish soap plus some luck to reinstall the windshield stainless. The door handle clips from PI are very good but not cheap. I used a hickory hammer handle to remove some clips, but some clips just disintegrate, or worse they ruin the track.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 1:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...It took me a long time and much dish soap plus some luck to reinstall the windshield stainless...

Randy, could you be so kind to estimate the so-called soap-to-luck ratio?

Click to see original Image in a new window

As to the hard rubber I've tried almost everything (talcum, glycerin, diesel, soft soap, hot water, ...). Hot water works but only short. Too short to be useful. Soap is necessary. Summer and sunshine help and one or another friend.
I know it isn't much solace, but the obstinate fight between man and rubber is character molding.

<iframe width="500" height="369" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ip9AMNGod6I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[picture source:http://theclicksofmyshutter.blogspot.com/]

Posted on: 2012/2/25 6:24
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved