Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 221

dick29, humanpotatohybrid, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Front Splash or Filler
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I don't have another car to compare with and I should probably take a photo of this but maybe I can explain well enough. From underneath the car and looking up in the area between the radiator and the bumper, there's a sheet metal splash or filler that attaches with either bolts or screws that thread into roughly 8 to 10 body clips attached to pre-drilled holes in the splash. This spalsh appears to be a a new part on my car and looks like somone attempted to install it after the bumper and grill were installed. Apparently that didn't work out real good as it appears that the attachment bolts were supposed to go in from up top as opposed to underneath so basically its just resting there unattached and rattles when I'm driving. What I need to know, and can't find a view of it in the parts manual, is if the splash is overlapping the piece it connects to correctly. The way it is now it would bolt up from the top but if it bolts from the bottom then the overlap needs to be the opposite...does that make any sense?

Posted on: 2012/3/21 12:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Front Splash or Filler
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
This is off topic to your concern but, since you are from Stark I was wondering if Santa Fe Community College still had the branch campus there. I used to teach Sociology on that campus a couple of times a week at night. Gene

Posted on: 2012/3/21 16:31
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Take a look at my blog. I think there are pics when I am reassembling the front that shows my splash pans.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 16:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Pic 1 Radiator Splash Panel installed (black)
Pic 2 Bumper filler panels installed (silver)

Attach file:

jpg  (19.99 KB)
1_4f6a5054b20de.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (233.44 KB)
1_4f6a50dc9ab86.jpg 1920X1148 px

Posted on: 2012/3/21 17:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The splash panel bridges the gap between the bottom parts of the fenders and acts like a scoop for the radiator air flow.

The bumper filler panels attach to the bottom leading edge of fenders and the front lip of the splash panel.

Basically you need the splash panel installed to actual make the filler panels work. Otherwise there would be no support in the middle for them to attach to. All of these use push on nut clips and hex headed screws for attachment.

I believe all the 53-54 Juniors are the same. 51-52 should be similar arrangement.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 17:11
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I don't have the splash or filler panels on my '51. Great! Looks like I have to track down some more parts!

Posted on: 2012/3/21 21:46
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Got em. Probably in quintuplicate.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 5:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
The bumper filler panels attach to the bottom leading edge of fenders and the front lip of the splash panel.

Basically you need the splash panel installed to actual make the filler panels work. Otherwise there would be no support in the middle for them to attach to. All of these use push on nut clips and hex headed screws for attachment.

Kevin,
Yes, that's Correct, what I need to know is where the filler attaches to the lip of the splash, which one gets the body nuts or push on nuts? In other words, it appears that the push on nut clips can go on either one which determines if they bolt together from the top or from the bottom. I think whoever put the bumper back on the car forgot the filler and then realized the bumper had to be taken back off to install it correctly. the push on nut clips are on the filler right now which for sure means that the bumper would have to be removed in order to install the bolts from the top.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 5:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

Gene in Indy wrote:
This is off topic to your concern but, since you are from Stark I was wondering if Santa Fe Community College still had the branch campus there. I used to teach Sociology on that campus a couple of times a week at night.

Yes it is Gene, and they also have a branch in Keystone Heights from what I hear.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The push on nuts go on the bottom edge of the grill, then you run the screws up through the splasher, then the filler into the grill. This all help to make the grill a lot less delicate.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 11:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved