Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Diamondback Tires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I am considering buying a set of 7.00-15 tires from Diamondback Tires. These tires are Yokohama brand that have been smoothed of all markings. They are load range "D" and are considered truck tires. Has anyone had experience with these tires on their Packard?

Posted on: 2008/4/12 18:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Diamondback Tires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
I did a quick search and came up with a few threads.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=752&forum=3&post_id=5490#forumpost5490

I personally don't have any experience with them, but I'm sure others here do. Good Luck.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
Clipper,
I just ordered a set 225x75x15 radials for my 56 Executive from DB, they have 2 3/4" WW and are made by Cooper Tire with 50,000 mile whatever it is they have. Should have them in about 2 weeks then could let you know my opinion if interested.
Bill

Posted on: 2008/4/12 22:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I have a set on my 47 Custom. I have used them for the last two or three years. I have put approximately 1,200 miles on them.I have had no problems with them at all. I even mounted them on my old rims tubeless. they hold air very well. After driving the car with biased tires the radials feel great.

I also have a set on my 49 Super convertible. They work just as well on that car. I have a few more miles on the set on this car, probably 3,500.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 22:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
49packard, Are yours the 7.00-15 size? I now have 235/75/15 radials on the car and they are fine for handling and braking but of course are a not correct looking. Are yours the smoothie blackwall or the wide whitewall? Tirerack sells the Yokohama 7.00-15 tire for $109, the DB smoothie is $149 and the 3 1/2" wide whitewall is $219. I am a bit turned off by the difference of $110 for a whitewall but I guess that's the price one pays for vanity!Thanks for all the comments and advice.

Posted on: 2008/4/12 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I installed a set of Diamond Back tubeless radial tires on my 1937 Six Convertible Coupe. The are on Hankook 225/75/16 tires and have the 3.5" whitewalls. They were mounted on the original wheels without tubes. They balanced easily, and hold air. They are smooth and the steering and braking are improved. They have been trouble free. Some cars may look better without the whitewalls. If you decide on not going with the whitewalls the savings would be considerable. I would recommend the Diamond Backs if you want the wide whitewalls.

Posted on: 2008/4/13 13:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Wayne Atkinson
See User information
I installed a set of wide white Diamond Backs on my 1952 300 4 door. The initial price hurt a little, but it was the best money I spent. I had previously worn out two sets of biased ply wide whites. The improvement in handling was amazing. They have been on the car for 8 years and many thousands of miles. They show no wear. The whitewalls are still white. They have not turned brown like Cokers tend to do. If I live long enough to wear them out, they will be replaced with an identical set. I love them.

Posted on: 2008/4/15 16:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I put a set of Diamondback radials 235/75/15 on my 56 Patrician and I am very pleased with them. Their approach of using new major make radial tires and vulcanizing a 1/8" white sidewall to it seems to me to be preferable to buying wide white radials or bias ply from old molds sold to who knows who.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 11:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
What the price difference between whites and black walls?

Posted on: 2008/4/16 12:06
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Tom, The DB blackwalls are $40-50 less per tire depending on white wall width. I personaly like the blackwall look on the Super Clipper.

Posted on: 2008/4/16 14:25
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved