Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

56 Patrician battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I need a battery for my 56 Patrician. I've searched but have not found the correct code for a current battery size. Does anyone know which size to use?

Gene

Posted on: 2012/7/6 11:48
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Patrician battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gene, how timely that you bring this up, I was just going to write this up for the PAC forum when I saw your post. I think perhaps I've done some of your homework for you.

I've just been out shopping for a replacement battery for my 56 without having to cut and extend the battery box width, or go the $300+ route of the Optima in the faux Group 60 battery box (they look great!, but not for me).

As you probably know the original battery was a Group 60 also used for a short time by a few GM cars, and was a fairly narrow one at about 6-1/4. Almost all 12-volt top post batteries today begin at widths of about 6-7/8 and thus won't fit without modifying the box.

When I bought my current battery 7+ years ago (and that's the reason I'm replacing it though it still seems OK), I bought an Interstate Group 64 (and painted it black) which shared with the original Group 60 the width (6-1/4)and height (8-7/8), and was at 11-3/4 in length, about 1-1/4 shorter than the original Group 60. So I went out battery shopping and what I found was that AC/Delco, Interstate, and most every other battery maker or brand (DuraLast at AutoZone for example) no longer carries the Group 64. AC/Delco carries a mongrel type 56/64 but it has very low CCA and though it will "fit", it's nearly 2 inches shorter than a Group 64, about 3 inches shorter than a Group 60.

My last stop of the day was at a NAPA store that carries both NAPA and Exide batteries. VIOLA!!, they had a factory fresh Group 64 in stock so I'm set for some years, don't know what I'll do the next time as I suspect the Group 64 is also headed for oblivion by the last (apparent) maker. The counterman was shocked, he'd never even heard of a Group 64.

Now Randy Berger tells me a Group 27, which isn't a bad choice in all other respects) fits his battery box but it surely won't fit mine, it's 6-7/8 wide at the base.

There is another quite obscure battery that might fit if you could find one, Group 29NF which is 5-1/2 wide and similar in other respects, about 1/16 taller.

Also note that if you go with a Group 27, you can get a regular 27 or a 27R which reverses the positions of the top posts. Some other batteries are also available with an "R" variant.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 13:13
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Great info Owen, Thanks for that. I have a 55 Patrician and am also in the market for a battery. Do you know if your info will translate back a year to mine also?

Thanks,

Dan

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Same battery, 55 & 56 though 55 was positive ground and 56 was negative, and the original Group 60 had the top posts at opposite corners and Group 64 they are both on the same side, so you may have to either switch the battery in the box end-for-end, or reroute the cables. For me with negative ground the posts are nearest the fender so I suspect for you the posts will be inboard. No big deal in any event.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I just got back from NAPA and they informed me that the 29NF was the battery to have for the 56 Packard. Dave, over on packardclub was informed of the same thing by another member and passed that info on to me so it appears we are on the same page with this. NAPA wants almost $100 for one so I'll use a battery pack to see if it will start or if I need to do more after I do the tune-up. It it starts I'll shut it off immediately and start draining fluids in preparation to getting it in running condition. If it doesn't start it is time to re-evaluate how much time I want to spend since I really want to get on my 39. It has waited long enough for me.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/7/6 14:48
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My approach was cruder, since the battery expired while on a tour.

Measured it, then went to WalMart and got the biggest best battery that would fit.

You do know Willards are still available?

Posted on: 2012/7/6 16:25
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Measured it, then went to WalMart and got the biggest best battery that would fit.

Yup, Walmart GP 29 works well. I've been using them since 1999.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/7/6 17:44
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved