Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 159

Ernie Vitucci, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Muratic acid to clean plastic tail light lenses?
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I turned on "Graveyard Cars" on the Velocity station... For an hour show, there is about 5 minutes of "technical stuff", but I did see that they were washing tail light lenses in muratic acid. Is anyone familar with a benefit of this? Does it remove the oxidation?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/7/6 11:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Muratic acid to clean plastic tail light lenses?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No personal experience but I'd think using the modern abrasive compound kits intended for removing oxidation from modern car headlight lenses would be far safer. I'd also question if there is enough variation in the types of plastic used for such lenses that hydrochloric acid (muriatic) might be acceptable to use on some and not others. Why take a chance with such a drastic method when safer methods are available?

Posted on: 2012/7/6 11:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Plastic or GLASS lenses???? Note that Muratic acid gives off extremely strong fumes. If u try it be sure to have good thick rubber gloves and apron. USe outdorrs ONLY.

I'm not overkilling this issue with the fumes nor the safety. U will see it when applied. A fog will rise up from the application. Wit hall of the safety gaurds of the world telling us about various other common hazards and warnings it's the warnings on the Muratic lable that is grossly down played relative to it's fumes and power. U HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Usualy Muratic is used to remove aluminum deposits from cylinders or to clean very thick aluminum pieces such as finned cylinder heads. NEver tried it on glass. If plastic then try a very small place in a hidden area.

I've used rubbing compiund on plexiglass windshields and a power buffer with fair to good results. But it doesn't last long. Seems like once plastic deteriorates there is not much than can be done for it long term. Everything is just a short term improvement.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 13:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard V8, the poster did say "plastic" lenses. And hydrochoric (the high strength form of muriatic) is sold in glass bottles so no issues with the glass itself.

But your safety warnings are entirely in order - muriatic is highly corrosive and anyone comtemplating it's use should very carefully read and follow the label precautions and request and read the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) before use, the MSDS must by law must be made available.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Yes, plastic. Yes, I do know that muratic acid is strong stuff. I have used it in the pool and to remove some rust at times. ...have always used protection, in a well ventilated area.

I was just asking about them using it to clean plastic lenses. I didn't think that there would be any effect, as I didn't think that it reacted to/with plastic.

...and if I'm not mistaken, the guy was pouring it straight onto the lenses, in a stainless steel sink (rinsing it down the drain), and rubbing it with his hands. I didn't think that was too smart.

Mark

Posted on: 2012/7/6 15:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If I remember my chemistry correctly, hydrochloric acid will attack some (all?) stainless steels.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not familiar with the different concentrations of muratic avaialable. Swimming pool mite be a lower concentration than hardware store muratic for cleaning aluminium and other more heavy duty uses. I don't know. All i know is that what i buy (about 3 years ago) at local hardware store was not in the swimming pool supply area of the store. I believe it is used to clean brick walls (by 'professionals') and for cleaning AC coils and mite bne heavily diluted for those applications.

Plastic lenses are most likely better polished than chemicaly treated. But if u try the muratic and it works out well then let us know.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 16:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Using acid to clean plastic has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

There are tried and true products available from leading suppliers out there that are less abrasive than even rubbing compound and allow you to SAFELY and EASILY clean/polish a plastic lens by hand - usually without removing it from the car. Properly applied, the plastic lens damn near looks like glass when you're done.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I'd write a scathing letter to the geniuses on that show who recommended acid of any sort to clean plastic.

Everyone has a favorite, mine's Novus, two formulas (Cleaner and Polish), both very gentle and extremely effective.

Acid...omg...

Posted on: 2012/7/6 17:33
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't listen to anything on television, even more so since they got rid of analog broadcast because I don't get any channels. I assume Congress expected me to buy a subscription to cable as part of their master plan to rip off the public as regards television.

Those TV shows are just another example of the least qualified people getting the highest regard and the highest rates of compensation.

Today's formula for success seems to stipulate being an idiot who takes themself way too seriously.

Posted on: 2012/7/6 19:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved