Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

Ozstatman, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Waking Sleeping Beauty
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Before I go to the aggravation of switching over to an electric, which I mentioned in another post I think I will see if the parts house can come up with these.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 7:39
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
O.K.
The pictured airtex unit is available at O'reillys for $49.95 + tx. The pictured Bosch unit cross refernces to another airtex unit #4808 or 4806 and is $69.95 +tx. When I get ready I may go for one of them.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 10:09
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Airtex makes a good pump. That is what I am using.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 10:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have an old pump to compare, would be interested what if any major differences you find. Arm is slightly bent on Airtex compared to original Carter but pump construction may be arranged so that overall geometry is identical--port openings, no idea.

I know the single has been used successfully. Can't remember but think it was greendragon or turbopackman that came up with the cross list in 2009. The Bosch dual has not been tried AFAIK. If someone sees a cross for a dual with plumbing closer to the one Dwight used, would appreciate the number.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 10:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

AL wrote:
Before I go to the aggravation of switching over to an electric, which I mentioned in another post I think I will see if the parts house can come up with these.

I considered an electric myself when I was under the impression that the switch could be in the wiper switch position and I could use the OEM bezel & knob. One of the suppliers I checked with said I couldn't.

It the Thunderbird pump pictured the one Dwight used? If so I think I may go with that if I can't find a Hash pump (sounds illegal).

Posted on: 2012/5/5 14:23
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That picture of the dual pump is not the one Dwight used. The vacuum plumbing is different. Still need info on his.

Quote:
I considered an electric myself when I was under the impression that the switch could be in the wiper switch position and I could use the OEM bezel & knob. One of the suppliers I checked with said I couldn't.

Just out of curiosity, whose wiper motor did you consider. Unless something changed since Craig bought his, the Newport Engineering unit would seem to work. Here is what Craig shows on his conversion's switch. You can see the nut holding the switch where the extra sweep lever would have been. Possibly the lever could be kept so that nut might be able to hide a bit more but switch still fits.

I would almost bet with a little ingenuity that a different switch assy could be adapted or a way found so the original switch and cable might be used with the new switch. Also possibly the co-ordinator could be made to work with the setup. Maybe another project is looming -- if ones already started ever get worked on long enough to finish.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.97 KB)
209_4fa5807697811.jpg 321X282 px

Posted on: 2012/5/5 14:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
There was a vendor on e-Bay that said they got their units from Newport. When I posed the question, the seller said that it wouldn't be doable. Thinking I should go straight to the source I went to Newport's site and asked about it by the e-mail listed under "contacts". I never got a reply.

The main reason I was interested in an electric set-up is that it offered the delay feature.

Like Rick in Casablanca who said he came for the waters, I was mis-informed. Seeing Craig's set-up (thank you once again, Howard) I doubt if they've changed all that much if at all. I'll try calling Newport on Monday.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 1:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One question would be the size and length of switch shaft. The regular switch looks like a generic aftermarket wiper switch available from several places. Delay switch may be something special.

Our V8 knobs need a 3/16" diameter shaft at least 1/2" long extending out past switch housing. Might need a bit of work on the shaft to make our method of securing the knob work. Maybe Craig or anyone else who might have one could mention if they had to do anything special.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 9:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
You are fantastic, Howard. Thanks to you, I can ask the questions that will tell me if what I want to do will work. In my best case scenario, the lever beneath the know would control the timing of the delay. I'm printing out your post so as to have the dimensions needed at hand.

If anyone else has experience of Newport's system please feel free to jump in! I'll take all the help I can get.

Posted on: 2012/5/6 14:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just FYI, Here's a photo of our wiper switch and knob. The shaft on the new switch will have to be made to match -- D shaped (if it's not already) and a small slot cut in -- so our knob with retaining tab will slide on and have something to seat into.

Because of the long neck, not sure if our lever can be made to work the intermittent function without destroying lever. If you ever wanted to revert, might be nice to keep things intact.

It looks like their switch might be a single knob that turns on and then further you turn, more rapid the wiper action. Probably a push on the knob for the washer function is built in also.

One other thing maybe worth getting info on is their extension. They mention using OEM knobs with it. Size and shape of shaft would be helpful and that shaft might be easier to work if changes needed.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.35 KB)
209_4fa6d8bb56184.jpg 640X188 px

jpg  (31.47 KB)
209_4fa6d8c333801.jpg 623X603 px

jpg  (22.51 KB)
209_4fa6d8cc68535.jpg 766X206 px

Posted on: 2012/5/6 15:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved