Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
180 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 177

BigKev, Don Shields, Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Amanda's 56 Clipper Leaking heater core??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'll start a new thread separate from the Puzzle Corner so more might see Amanda's heater leak problem and possibly have some experiences or leak problems of their own.

--what I could find about a '56 Clipper Deluxe spewing anti freeze all over the driveway. My husband is pretty sure it's the heater core/coil.

Old cores are a problem but if core turns out OK, could also be a couple of other things. Depending on how the car is parked, heater core leak can go inside or outside. If outside would be dripping out the duct hose area. Inside can be running down firewall behind the carpet and dripping out the front floor body bolt area -- or rusty floor hole if you have one.

Could also be the heater control valve. The rubber seal has been known to give up after 50 years. If that, new seals are available from Napa and instructions are on site on how to change. If seal, leak usually is found with liquid inside running under and sometimes even on carpet. If under, carpet is usually dry on top.

I just went thru an episode where I disturbed the wire hose clamps at heater control valve inlet/outlet tubes. New carpet and interior panel required removing the hoses & valve. After that, one of the clamps got tired and was not doing it's job. Was just loose enough that under pressure the liquid squirted past hose end into car and then ran down firewall under carpet pad. Mine was mostly dripping out the body bolt depression and hole but a little bit also dripped down on the engine side of firewall. A screw type clamp solved it.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 12:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Amanda's 56 Clipper Leaking heater core??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mrs. Amanda Burton
See User information
Thank you for the info, we will have to check for all of those things. So far all we know for sure is that we took it to a show, drove home, parked in the driveway, unloaded and within minutes there was a huge puddle underneath it. Hadn't had a problem all day or prior to that, it was like something just burst. From the quick glance we gave it the puddle appeared to be dripping from somewhere near the front passenger side tire. We will definitely look into all of those things. Let you know what we find. Thank you.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 14:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Amanda's 56 Clipper Leaking heater core??
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
By pass the heater for now, and see if the problem goes away. Also if it is indeed the heater or valve, then you can still drive the car without having to worry about losing coolant.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 15:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved