Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Shifting in a 28
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
At one time George bolted a second transmission onto the back of one of his cars for overdrive. I never heard it but George told me it was really awesome having the gears screaming at over 75 mph.

That was the Speedster that we bought from him in 1974. During the latest restoration, it was removed. There really was no need for it since it also had a pretty low rear end ratio. It will cruise all day long at 75mph.

I've heard that at least one other person with a 1930 Packard in the New Jersey area has this set-up as well, and may still be set-up that way. Bill Hirsch, perhaps????

Please excuse me if I misunderstand the function of a second transmission. Would it not result in an under drive, not over drive? If both transmissions are in high gear there would be no change in engine speed, but if the second transmission is in second gear and the first is in high, then there would be a reduction in the gearing, more so if the second transmission is in 1st gear. Que no? Or, am I missing something obvious? Thanks, and please be kind.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/25 17:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, I had the pleasure of driving the Jepson Speedster with the dual transmissions a few times. The 2nd transmission was mounted BACKWARDS! So yes, you have a whole range of overdrive speeds up to and including the rediculous.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, thanks. A real ahaaa moment. Of course that would be what would make it work as a super over drive. Thanks...

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/25 21:02
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved