Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
43 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 42

Chris, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Generator
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jessie
See User information
I have a 1946 clipper 8cylinder. I just found out today that it has a bad generator. How hard are these to rebuild or does anybody know how much they cost to get rebuilt? Or is there something I should try to do to it first since the car has been sitting for 25 years. I drove the car around the block a few times everything is in good working condition except for that.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 20:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Generator
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Jengler84,

Precision Power in Lansing , Michigan
1 800 794-5962. They rebuilt my voltage reg/cutout did an
excellent job, seems like it took about a 4-6 weeks.

Packard 385

Posted on: 2013/2/16 20:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Nothing terribly special about the generator/regulator as it was in lots of cars of the era. If you have an old time auto electric shop nearby they should be able to diagnose or repair your generator. If not, one of our posters, startergenrebuilder (or better known as Jason at AER) can probably help you out as well. He has been able to supply parts for others who were having problems with older gen/regs.
Contact info:
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2013/2/16 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Jason who posted above, supplied me with all the parts to rebuild my generator.

New Armature, brushs, terminal posts, bearings,and a brand new, old stock regulator all of which is now working perfect.

All delivered quickly,

54 Packard Cavalier.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I should mention that maybe things just need to be cleaned like contact points in the regulator, or the commutator on the armature in the generator.

You should re-polarize the generator as well.

After sitting 25 years.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
You can read about how to re-polarize a generator at Polarizing where Jim describes the process.

Seems very likely that will need to be done after 25 years!

You can also test your generator by running it like an electric motor. Connect a 6V battery to the generator and it should 'motor'. If it does then you can listen for brush and bearing noise, or commutator wear. That's a start. (Might be wise to place a 30amp fuse in the line just in case there's a short circuit in the wiring somewhere).

Posted on: 2013/2/20 5:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved