Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Prewar Packard - Service Options in Dallas, Texas Area
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is there something wrong with the 1934 Packard engine?

Not at all - with some evolutionary changes it's essentially the same from 1929 thru 1939 - it's a fine engine, just not as simple to work on as the later engines based on the "120" monoblock design, so there are some things to be aware of. As to 1934 Packard Eights and Super Eights (and Twelves of course), they are delightful cars - as of next month I will have owned mine for a half-century with great experiences, I've driven it about 45,000 miles and only one breakdown (broken rear axle) during all those years.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David,

Do you mean Bill Cook who kept Jim Hollingsworth cars running? Bill passed away, lost a lot of good Packard knowledge.

OD & Flackmaster that is why I ask about earlier car issues, because we seem to keep loosing those who worked on them before us.

I understand the reason to discuss things in private, but it also limits the passing of theses "known" issues with certain engines or cars.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Nice conversation with Don today discussing the merits and drawbacks of a 1934 automobile. One lingering question for further discussion, comment from a mechanic that the top perimeter of the pistons was evidencing some chips around the edges - significant or par for the course with 70 year old cast pistons?
Also one other question due to lack of evidence, that being the headgasket was replaced because it was either "blown" or to repair a water leak....two completely different scenarios in my mind.

Comments please as Don has his checkbook out with pen in hand.

Oh, and paging Tom LaFerriere...comments on radiator and cooling system overhaul costs please.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 15:21
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don R
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Don, I don't know just what engine work you might be contemplating but I've got some longstanding experience with a 1934 Eight and concur with Flackmaster's caution. If you wish to discuss this by phone, send me a PM with your phone# and suitable dates & times (EST) and I'd be glad to give you a call.

PM sent, I would very much like to talk with you, thanks!

Posted on: 2013/2/28 15:32
Don Rundgren
McKinney, Texas
1934 1100 Eight Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Mike, I did mean Billy. I'm sorry to hear that he's gone. He was a great guy and a great mechanic.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

flackmaster wrote:
One lingering question for further discussion, comment from a mechanic that the top perimeter of the pistons was evidencing some chips around the edges - significant or par for the course with 70 year old cast pistons?

Dave,

Chips? I can see erosion, but chips would be evidence of larger problems. Overheating, maybe? Poor installation?

BTW, the only scenario that I know where a head gasket could allow coolant to leak is through the gasket getting blown out by compression, either because the head was not seated properly or the head/block surface has corroded. Either way the gasket is disrupted by compression. Other folks more knowledgable will hopefully contribute better information.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/3/5 13:53
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved