Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 160

Tobs, PSuper8Ben, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

keep it original or redo interior
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'm in a discussion with a good friend if they should redo the original upholstry on an all original 77 yr old Packard and the effect it has on the value. You can tell that the upholstery is very old: but no major damage. A few very small holes (less than 1/8 inch). How would the value be effected by redoing that?

Posted on: 2013/3/14 9:32
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: keep it original or redo interior
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In my view the answer depends very much on the condition of the rest of the car, and what plans there may be for it. A car can be only original once; if the exterior, paint etc. is also original and presentable then I'd keep it that way which shouldn't hurt the value and might even enhance it over just an interior redo, especially if it isn't done with authentic materials. But if the rest of the car is somewhat shabby and begging for body work and paint, then doing the interior (correctly) would in all probability add to the value, though the work is usually done in the reverse order - body and paint work first and interior thereafter.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Car is in great shape. Has been babied since new. Had a new paint job 30 yrs ago, thats it.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 11:24

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any chance of keeping the upholstery under a new cover? Something along the lines of the removable seat covers that were commonly available from dealers -- only have a decent and snug set custom made out of an appropriate fabric to take care of the presentation. Something that fit well yet still removable might be very presentable but still allow the originality for the value or for the next guy.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 11:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
If you make up your mind to reupholster the car, then use authentic materials. Especially since you asked how it would affect the value of the vehicle. If I were in the market for a car and saw one with a beautiful but not authentic interior, I would be figuring out how much it would cost to correct the interior. That obviously would impact my decision whether or not to buy the car.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 13:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
It's impossible to tell how the value would be affected without knowing the condition of the car and where this particular car falls in comparison with others offered that year (1936?). Is it a senior or a junior model? Open or closed body?

Originality is no excuse for shabbiness, and since the car has been painted, it's not original anymore by definition. Because the seal has already been broken, so to speak, If the interior needs to be redone and you (or your friend, in this case) plan to re-do it in period correct materials, do it. Otherwise, particularly if its in decent condition, leave it alone. The real issue, in that case, is not whether redoing this interior will decrease the value, but rather whether the cost of redoing the interior will be justified with a comparable increase in resale value.

That being said, unless we document originality,we are going to lose the knowledge of how things were done, so if you do decide to redo, please save fabric samples and take pictures of as many details as possible.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 13:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I had a similar dilemma when restoring my '47 Super Clipper. Since I had to paint the car I elected to redo the upholstery in a non authentic material. I still somewhat regret that decision. I don't think it affected the monetary value of the car since I sold it at market value but it did ruin the originality of the car to a marked degree. Had the car had original paint in presentable form I would never have changed the upholstery. I agree that seat covers may be your best option to preserve what may be of historically significance to future owners or automotive historians.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear BDC:

Unless you are going to do it right, don't waste the money.

Most original cloth interiors are thread bare in at least one place.

The seat cover suggestion isn't bad provided they are done in a professional manner.

But if the seats are visually pleasing just throw a blanket over them and keep mothballs or cedar chips in the car.

If he decides to restore the car that's the time to retore the interior.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Thats what I was thinking. Leave it alone cause it sure isnt an eyesore, and its only original once!

Posted on: 2013/3/15 9:15

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved