Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
336 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 334

DavidM, tuskman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Misfire advice please
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Black and sooty means too rich. Either plugs are too cold of a heat range or timing too far retarded. What is the number on the sparking plugs????

Posted on: 2013/4/14 6:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably too rich a fuel/air mixture. Adjust your timing from the dash so you have just a hint of preignition on a hard pull and you can eliminate that as a possibility.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear KTS:

Glad to hear of improvement.

Why not pull the starter and set the timing.

The flywheel method is dead on and you can even pull the starter with the car running and use a timing light hooked to a 12 volt battery.

I would still buy or make a spark tester, then kill the motor on the road and pull a plug.

Black velvety soot indicates weak ignition.

After that proceed to carburetor.

Posted on: 2013/4/14 12:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Thanks again for the advice gents.

I did pull the starter out and set the timing from the TDC mark on the flywheel. I think it was too far advanced and the spark control on the dash couldn't overcome it.

I also shut the fuel setting down on the carb. The plugs were very sooty. Cleaned those and took another test ride and all much improved.

Thank goodness it didn't need an ECU reprogramming or a dozen sensors replacing !!

Posted on: 2013/4/14 15:20
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved