Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Seattle Packard?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Tim,
Keep in mind that I talked to him on a couple of occasions prior to purchasing the parts to make sure we were on the same page as far as the parts were concerned.

The engine mount we discussed does not actually exist as some people on the forum suggested and I once thought and David thought. I sent him pictures of what I had including the front of the engine and the front of the engine compartment. These were the same pictures I included on this Forum when asking for help relating to the engine mount issue.

The other piece was the radiator surround or support and it was the right part except that someone has taken a torch to it and cut a segment out of the middle of it. Someone in the business of selling these parts should know if a part is all there or not and the cutout section was very obvious to see.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/9/25 12:40
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Portlandon,
If someone told you that they had good solid parts and sent you parts that had sections cut out of them with, what appeared to be a torch, would you still think that it was "just part of doing business"? Personally, I think that we, as Packard owners and occasionally parts buyers and sellers should hold ourselves to a higher standard and accurately describe what we intend to sell to others. But, that is just me. If I sell something to someone that is not exactly how I describe it I will refund the part in full plus return shipping. And, by the way, I was concerned about the cost of RETURN shipping to him. Why should I be stuck with the return shipping of parts that were either the wrong part or defective? That is just my 25 cents worth since 2 cents doesn't get you much today.
Gene

Posted on: 2012/9/25 12:48
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Gene,

I completely understand. I've driven over 200 miles one way to see what one persons "Good condition" looks like. I'm almost always disappointed. I think that Pictures of parts are always good in this day and age. That way there are no misconceptions, and you know the part is correct. One person's "Good" is another persons "Marginal". Body panels we throw out here on the west coast are cherished Gold to folks in the Northeast. I know, I've seen them digging through the metal recycling bin asking "Are you really throwing this away?"

As for the condition of a used body part, It's 70 years old! Also how did you think it was going to be cut off with? How many options are there? Sawzall? Plasma cutter? Cutting torch? I don't ask people how they remove a panel. I just ask that it be in good condition. If the torching process messed up the piece you need, that is a problem.

I couldn't agree with you more that the communication between you and SP was poor. I am just glad you got money back. Which doesn't happen very often in these situations. I think this reflects good on SP as a whole. It also reflects good on you for having pressed a vendor to act responsibly and do what is right.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 14:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I believe that Gene isn't complaining that the radiator surround/support was removed by cutting, but that a portion of that part had been (previously) cut-out (with a torch) - as in, missing.

This situation is just another example of why I tend to avoid buying used parts unless I can personally inspect them before money changes hands.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Portlandon,
The piece that was cut out did not need to cut out. It was an interior horizontal brace. Here is a picture. A good one is on the right and the one he shipped me is on the left. The closeup is where it was cut.
Gene

Attach file:

jpg  (64.06 KB)
3021_506259629783d.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (39.63 KB)
3021_5062598bc6cd9.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2012/9/25 20:25
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Its a David Moe sighting.

After many emails going unanswered and getting a disconnect message on his telephone, I heard from the elusive David Moe today. I've been looking hither and yon for the side view mirrors for my '47 clipper that attach to the trim (not the door edge variety) -- and he has what he described as a nice pair. Assuming they are nice, his price was fair. I also spoke with him and he sounds good. Hopefully he'll be around for a while.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 18:44
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Before I would buy anything from him again I would want him to ship it to me to verify that it was correct and as described. If it were then I would call him and give him my CC number. Or if he was hard to catch, ask him to call me, after I had received it and verified it was as described, to get my number. The only other alternative would be to go there or have someone I trusted pick it up for me. It is sad to feel that way but my experience left a bad feeling with me about dealing with him.
Gene

Posted on: 2013/4/17 22:30
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I've bought stuff from David before and never had any issues in my dealing with him. Once I mistakenly bought the wrong switch from him at a swap meet and he shipped me out the correct one no questions asked.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 15:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved