Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 57

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Still have fuel problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I didn't give up on the gas tank and tried to pump it out and recheck. Didn't get any residue(or gas). I forget that it was low last summer. I guess it was idled enough to burn through the gas. Felt really stupid, until I added 10 gallons and drove the Clipper around for about 10 minutes and then took the neighbor boys for a short ride. The Stupid feeling subsided quickly with a good feeling.
Next job is to find out why the Clipper dies when I slow down to stop. I have been putting it in neutral at the stop signs to get around the neighborhood. I will start another thread on that. The car rolled well and didn't make any odd sounds so far. I had trouble finding the dip tube for the transmission. Will jack it up and check that this weekend.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THEIR IDEAS AND HELP

WILLIS

Posted on: 2013/4/25 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
If the car dies as you stop, it might be your trans.If the car does not shift down out of direct drive, its like stopping a manual shift car without puting in the clutch.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sticking governor.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/25 11:18
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I now remember the guy I purchased the Clipper from said it stalled when coming to a stop and it is possibly could be the governor. I have been so wrapped up in the fuel problem and getting the car going it slipped my mind.
I guess a rebuilt unit will be the solution. I will be looking up the installation process.

Looks like $90.00 on e-bay. Does anyone on the site sell the same unit? What exactly goes wrong? The plastic gear? Looks like it should be a simple change( or is anything simple?).

Posted on: 2013/4/25 21:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Governors are fairly easy to remove and clean on the regular Ultras. Service manual shows how to remove them and here is the cleaning procedurehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO5.pdf In issue 10https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL24NO10.pdf is a bit more and showing the use of nylon brushes.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 21:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I would have taken a quite a while to look that up.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I checked out both and will investigate this weekend. Will a cleaning do the job? The tech order says to service it regularly so I guess doing it first before getting a replacement would be in order.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Can guarantee you a replacement will not be necessary; cleaning will do the trick. Just to save you some research: the governor is under the round cover at the rear of the trans on the passenger side. There is no need to drain the trans. The governor body itself is held on with two screws. Hold the governor with one hand to keep it from turning as you remove the screws to prevent stressing the drive gear. Take it apart and clean it with lots of carb cleaner and compressed air, and maybe give a little polish with a scuffy pad on the pistons.

Chances are you will never even see what was making it stick.

If for some bizarre reason you need a governor I have about a half dozen I will sell you cheap.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 6:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks Ross, it looks like I am ready to proceed with the task.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 6:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I will be getting into the governor today. It sure looks tight to get the 4 bolts and the cover off. I hope to be able to hold the unit while I take off the screws.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 12:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved