Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
After soaking with ATF/acetone in the oil hole, and letting it sit for a few days, I was happy to find that the shifter works perfectly.

Now I'm trying to chase down the intermittent OD issues. Just bypassed the six pin connection underneath- that wasn't the problem.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 9:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Joey, Not sure which schematic you are working with but here is one from a prewar book that shows the internal contacts of relay and solenoid a bit clearer. Same R9 unit but this schematic doesn't show the reverse lockout switch or the connectors. All contacts are shown with the knob pushed in selecting OD but the car standing still.

Since you are not getting the light when it happens and have ruled out the connectors and also loss of power or reverse lockout switch, IMO it almost has to be in the relay itself or a failure in the ground path. I'd start at governor and continue thru the 3 switches in the string to verify each connection and switch providing ground to terminal 5 of the relay.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.42 KB)
209_5162da650e931.jpg 1197X673 px

Posted on: 2013/4/8 10:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Thanks, Howard. I have a troubleshooting article for the R9 somewhere if I can just find where I put it.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 10:05
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
If you do not have a service manual, look for one on E-bay, as it would be a huge help to you. The transmission section of the service manual would give you many different types of problems and how to solve. **Please look above at suggestion of making sure, when in neutral that both levers are parallel. Let us know how that works out.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 14:40
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just about all over the pertinent service manuals are available here on the website as PDFs for free download.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 15:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
It is working now, after I replaced the wire from the kickdown switch to the governor. I think it may have been the Douglas connector at the governor that was the problem.

The only thing now is that occasionally, when shifting from second to direct drive, it will go into OD. I think it must be that sometimes I shift too slowly, releasing the torque on the OD.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 17:54
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
The only thing now is that occasionally, when shifting from second to direct drive, it will go into OD. I think it must be that sometimes I shift too slowly, releasing the torque on the OD.

It sounds like all is working properly. Doesn't matter the gear -- as long as it's over the governed speed of around 17 - 20 mph it will go into overdrive as soon as you let off the gas and the input shaft slows down momentarily in relation to output shaft.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 18:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Most of the time, it doesn't go into overdrive during a shift- I would rather it didn't, because the RPMs are too low coming right out of second. I usually wind direct (3rd) out a bit before I let off the gas and allow it to slip into OD. But occasionally, it ends up in OD as soon as I go into third. If my speed is too low, I will kick down at that point.

Not that big a deal- I'm just glad it works. It's not happy, happy, happy driving around with no overdrive.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 18:14
Joey

(?=#=?)

Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved