Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spark plug wires
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Hello, I just replaced the plugs and planning on replacing my ignition coil and wires. I did find a new coil and plugs however not sure about the plug wires. Anybody know a part number or at least point me in the right direction of what I should be looking for... Got Auto lite plugs from napa. The set that's on my touring sedan looks like some makeshift cables that sit on the plugs and do not connect completely.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 7:18
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark plug wires
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You could buy a spark plug wire kit from places like Brillman, though if you're handy just buy a spool or length of copper-core ignition wire and the end connectors and cut to length and make up our own. To be authentic
you want black lacquered cloth covered rubber, uncovered black rubber was later, and the multi-color wires earlier. For black rubber wire a good brand is Packard Electric 440 but regardless of that you probably want solid copper core wire, though if you bought non-resistor spark plugs you may get some radio interference. If that's a concern, either get resistor spark plugs or resistor wire, but not both.

http://brillman.com/store/

EDITED to correct. Black lacquered cloth-covered rubber was used thru 1950, plain black rubber thereafter.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 7:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I have a 48 Custom Eight.As Owen said, it is pretty easy.I picked up all the connectors I needed at NAPA and cut the wire (Packard 440) to length.Looks factory correct for the period.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 7:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Awesome, I love you guys! So 7mm is appropriate I'm assuming. The radio isn't much concern, it works but a m radio isn't my cup o tea. 😳 the Cables are cheap sounds perfect... I think I made the wires myself on my last packard I think I can do it no prob. Thanks everyone

Posted on: 2013/6/11 18:24
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I put the Packard 440 wires on my Series 23 along with non resistor plugs. The radio and everything else works fine. The finishing touch are the aftermarket Raja terminals which I got from Restoration Supply. This setup is 50s correct.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:47
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe the resistor is either built into the rotor itself of the cap.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 10:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If Auto Lite, then there is a resistor in the cap; if Delco, then it could have a resistor in the rotor. Good idea to replace the Delco resistor rotor with a non-resistor type. The Delco resistor rotors tend to burn up and can leave you stranded. At least carry a spare rotor. The Auto Lite design does not need any changing.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/12 10:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps I'm wrong, I thought we were speaking of a 6-volt 22nd or 23rd series Packard?

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, Correct, we are talking about the 22nd - 23rd series. Thinking about them, my comments about the Auto Lite and Delco distributor resistors may not apply to these cars. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved