Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Eastwood Clear Coat
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I thought the concept here was to apply the clearcoat directly over the linseed and not use a primer, am I understanding this incorrectly? I'm curious about the compatibility of urethane clearcoats with an alkyd (linseed oil) undercoat.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 9:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my compressor is a 1.8hp cast iron w/ 30 gallon tank. it kept up with the HVLP gun spraying linseed perfectly fine. not a hitch.

i have already taken the gas tank inlet cover to a professional place and had him test spraying clear (no idea which brand) on it and then baking it. all right over the top of fresh dry linseed. it has still not peeled sitting in my garage heat. he left it in the sun for days even, and nothing. he had to take a razor blade to it to get it to chip. and then the chipped edge would still not peel.

i think its fine guys. not going to over think it here, but thanks for the input. i just can't afford the 1500 plus the 800 in rubber to mount the body back to the frame. right now and i kinda want the satisfaction of painting it myself. i think the eastwood product will be similar to whatever they used at the hotrod place. if not...then oops and oh well.

if i can do body rust repair on a floorboard and rocker panel after being nervous and never having done it before...i think i can do this.

i got a sick dog i'm taking care of right now that is taking the project money, and she is well worth it, but having to do that is motivating my will to do it myself.

things may change. i may get cold feet and just wait longer to paint it at the hotrod shop. idk.

i just wanted some input on the paint from eastwood as compaired to things like 3M or dupont.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 10:41
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A local paint supply store also should carry Matrix, which is a great brand as well that a lot of shops are now using.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 13:53
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
thanks Kev, i'm looking into them now....seems they have super fast drying and medium to high solids type.

i believe the eastwood is a high solid euro style. so this is good to compare to.

thanks

Posted on: 2013/9/5 13:59
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If you ever watch some of the car shows on TV (Counts Customs, Fast n' Loud, etc) they all have "MATRIX" banners hanging in their shops somewhere. I believe the "story" goes that a group of Chemists from PPG (or was it Dupont) went off on their own and started Matrix. Which is supposed to be nearly the same formulas, but at a lower price point. Which obviously is attractive to shops watching their pennies.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
from a price standpoint and the fact that it comes with the activator included...i'm still standing on eastwood side.

been looking at ways to turn my garage into a paint booth too.

this is much more fun then dropping it off to be painted. i just hope i dont ruin it and ruin my patina outlook.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:40
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i went with the Eastwood product. we shall see what happens.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 12:56
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved