Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 84

SSMcDonald, HH56, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Old-time sluggish automatic remedy
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Talking with my neighbor about how folks dealt with car problems years ago, he related that a relative had a six cylinder Chevy with a particularly sluggish Powerglide.

Anyway, the remedy he used was to drain the old fluid completely, refill with half automatic transmission fluid, half brake fluid. Then he drove the car to get it to normal operating temperature then drained it again, refilling it with straight automatic transmission fluid. Apparently this gambit cured the problem and he drove the car for years afterward.

Anybody else heard of this old-time sluggish automatic transmission rememdy?

Steve

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Old-time sluggish automatic remedy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear 58:

I don't have the part list on hand, but GM uses soft parts to hold pressure that brake fluid might cause to swell. This would increase line pressure and reduce forward clutch slippage. Packard used tight bushing clearances to hold oil pressure.

I never heard of this method, but if you can find an old timer used car dealer he could answer, along with sawdust, eggs, and pepper.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Seems like another myth. In my view the only thing that would make a PowerGlide less sluggish would be more horsepower.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The softened and swelled seals were the conclusion at the time. Anedotal stories are what they are and, as they say, shouldn't be tried at home without more hard evidence. Definitely isn't something that should be tried on an Ultramatic unless one plans on a rebuild anyway.

My comment to my neighbor was "A sluggish Powerglide? How could he tell!" Slip and slide with Powerglide!

Steve

Posted on: 2013/9/19 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
When you say "sluggish," do you mean that the transmission failed to shift when it reached a certain range? I have had issues with my Twin Ultramatic clunking into reverse and failing to shift properly, but that had nothing to do with the engine's power. I would have an issue with the matter of brake fluid viscosity in relation to the viscosity of automatic transmission fluid. An automatic transmission is operating under tremendous pressure on the gears and seals, etc. Brake fluid, it seems to me, simply controls hydralic braking. Very little viscosity is necessary. Frankly, I think the best way to improve your automatic transmission is to have it serviced regularly by a mechanic who knows what he is doing and regularly checking and maintaining the proper fluid levels.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 12:08
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Slip and slide with Powerglide!

Amen! But IMO it was one of the most successful slip and slides ever developed. Didn't it last virtually unchanged from intro until the early 60's when GM went all Hydramatic?

Dynaflows were the king of the slip and slides and had multiple changes in their run. I think they were even slower at the light than an Ultra in high range was. There was a sort of commentary on Buicks when I was young to the effect "you pushed the gas & car makes a lot of noise but eventually goes".

I believe Hydramatics had a couple of major design changes but other than some mostly minor details I don't think the basic operation of the PowerGlide changed much. They sure sold a lot of them.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 12:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved