Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering ,showing proper hose conections
Just popping in
Just popping in

Willy
See User information
I have a 55 clipper . and a 55 patrician , I changed the power steering unit complete off of the patrician to the clipper [ patrician parts car] had new hoses made up. PROBLEM when I start the car , the steering wheel jumps back and forth . cant turn the steering wheel?? I NEED HELP . do I have the hoses on wrong ? is there a diagram showing same , or what is happening . Bill

Posted on: 2013/11/2 8:23
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering ,showing proper hose conections
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Which power steering systems were involved, Bendix (4-hose) or Monroe (2-hose)?

Posted on: 2013/11/2 8:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I believe that the 55 Pat (like all Seniors that year) had Bendix and the 55 Clipper had Monroe. The supply lines become a bit blurred, however, when it comes to the 56 Seniors.

The closest visual I can come up with are the illustrations from the Parts Plates section of 55-56 parts books, which can be downloaded here, for FREE - see Plates 31C (Bendix) and 31D (Monroe).

Also, did you remember to swap the pumps as well, if not their pressure-regulating valve assemblies? Otherwise, the pumps themselves are the same. The Monore system required higher pressure than Bendix, and SC Vol. 29, No. 4 specifically warns against interchanging pump between the two systems.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 9:04
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Willy
See User information
Hi 4 hoses ,2 short valve to cylinder, 2 from the pump to the valve , I changed the whole unit complete ,took the original hoses and had new ones made, the pressure hade a 2 size deal the new was exacly the same way. Bill

Posted on: 2013/11/2 9:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
So, you've got a Bendix system on the Clipper, now.

I can envision a problem, such as you previously described, with that system if the two short hoses, between the control valve and the power cylinder (ram) are reversed at one end or the other.

Posted on: 2013/11/2 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian gives good advice. Swap the valve parts from the Bendix to the Monroe pump. The Monroe pump has an orifice that raises the pressure for the Monroe cylinder. Swap the parts 15.898 thru 15.852 as seen in this plate 31I from the Bendix pump to the pump on the car. Then make a note of it for your own good.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.30 KB)
23_52752c6abbee1.jpg 712X572 px

Posted on: 2013/11/2 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Pretty sure Brian nailed it, the short hoses are crossed. The power assist will immediately halt any steering input you give rather than aiding it.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 6:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved