Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Pan Removal On Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi all, well the good news is the engine starts.

The bad news is that the oil pan had been repaired by pounding out some dents from the inside and these dents are now leaking through a very small pinhole.

Additionally it sounds like the counter weights of the crankshaft are barely striking the bottom of the forward part of the oil pan. As the engine is running I could put in the palm of my hand on the bottom of the forward part of the oil pan and I could feel the tapping and as I push slightly up on the sheet metal the sound changes so I've isolated the problem. When I brought the engine home I placed it on a tire (no rim) and perhaps the tire crushed up the forward part of the oil pan ever so slightly. There was no indication of this when I used the torque wrench to spin the engine over prior to installing it.

This means I have to remove the oil pan and replace it.

Does anybody have a good serviceable oil pan or know where to get a new one?

It looks like I can pull the oil pan down from the engine with the engine still in the car. It does not look like I have to elevate the engine at all. Any suggestions on this project?

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2015/8/13 19:58
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Pan Removal On Car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bill,

Gerry, packardssouthwest, will most likely have an oil pan.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 21:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
I just pulled the pan on my '50 288...a couple of things make it easier. The bolts across the front of the pan sometimes have nuts on them. There should be a threaded plate across the front above the pan but through the years mechanics tossed the plate and used nuts. If you have nuts I suggest yanking the radiator, two hose clamps and 6 bolts and it lifts out ( remove the draing plug before you lift it out as it will hang on the lower air deflector. Once you can get at the nuts from the front things get easier. There are 3 fasteners across the rear of the pan. To get to these you need to pull off the plate covering the flywheel then you have access to the fasteners. They are kind of tough to get out but be patient and don't drop them in the clutch cover...I used a magnet to make sure I didn't mess up. Finally, drop the idler arm from the front suspension on the passenger side of the car, two bolts and the steering drops down easy. Now the pan will slip out.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2015/8/13 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks so much... I'll fill you in on the details

Posted on: 2015/8/13 22:38
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
See my videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uyrBl3oq0I Part 3 and Part 4 for my 1947.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/8/14 1:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
THANKS for the suggestions and especially the video!!! The video was especially helpful. I can tell we think alike.

I R&R the oil pan today and verified that the crankshaft counterweights were indeed hitting the oil pan. The engine runs quiet now without the BONG BONG BONG sound!!!

The smell of a new engine is always nice!!!

The front of the oil pan was indeed pushed up ever so slightly (I did not notice it prior) I guess this must have happened when I drove it home and it was riding on a deflated tire (no steel rim).

Lowering the pan was not too tough...needed to lower the center link, I already had the clutch inspection cover removed, and move the #1 piston to half way up in its bore so that the crank counterweight is out of the way. Packard was kind enough to insert holes in the chassis and these holes were strategically located to where a 1/4 inch drive ratchet could be inserted in the hole and get access to the forward oil pan bolts. I used a remote starter switch to tap (click) the crank to the exact position.

Attached are pictures of the issue in case anyone else has this issue.

THANKS AGAIN,

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (13.15 KB)
84982_55ce6f3c3db15.jpg 374X231 px

jpg  (16.10 KB)
84982_55ce6f48cf3ad.jpg 448X252 px

jpg  (15.75 KB)
84982_55ce701999df0.jpg 252X448 px

jpg  (17.29 KB)
84982_55cfdcb0361f1.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/8/14 17:56
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
When I rebuilt the engine on my 51, I had the same issue - rods hitting the pan. Once the pan was dropped, it was obvious where it was being hit. A few taps with a rubber hammer cured that problem. Nice to have a problem you can solve with a large hammer.....

Posted on: 2015/8/14 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
>Nice to have a problem you can solve with a large hammer.....

Yes...a hammer and the appropriate combination of bad words did the trick!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/15 9:59
Bill,

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tim
See User information
Wesley Boyer --
Watching your videos were a huge help! Removing the pan on a 1951 327 is close to being the exact same process. Thank you for taking the time to make the videos with narration!

Posted on: 2016/6/3 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
TL, that's why I did it. Thanks for letting me know.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/6/4 4:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved