Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

transmission oil coolant lines
Just popping in
Just popping in

Lowell Barrowes
See User information
I am trying to figure out how and where to route the tubing from the Ultramatic transmission to the cooler unit, near the water pump, on this 1954 Packard convertible, 359 ci motor. I wasn't involved in the disassembly and the tubes were cut off rather removed intact. Also I am trying to figure the tubing pattern for the oil filter attatchment. Any diagrams or descriptions would be helpful.

Posted on: 2016/11/18 14:14
I helped an auto glass man install the windshield with new rubber; 54 Packard convertible, a
 Top  Print   

Re: transmission oil coolant lines
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have any photos of the transmission lines at the moment but for someone that does they will need to know if you have the late 54 Gearstart Ultra or the conventional Ultra. If there is a question on which you have, Gearstarts have a dot between N and D on the shift quadrant and regulars do not. Believe the difference is Gearstart lines will be on the passenger side while regular Ultras are on the drivers side.

Here is a photo of the oil filter routing on a 356. The 359 routing is essentially identical but IIRC, the 359 block fitting above the oil pan going into the crankcase is a bit more forward. The 359 should have had a factory filter but just in case the canister has been acquired from an earlier engine, check your filter canister for input and output labels. Some older canisters have the ports opposite with inlet on the bottom. The later filters have the input on the side.

Oil is taken from a 4 way fitting on the lower side port of engine and goes to the inlet port on the side of the filter. Exits the bottom filter port and goes to the vertical fitting low on block just above the oil pan. Check the 4 way fitting and also the elbows on the canister to verify the tubing holes are identical in size. If they are not, the smaller hole(s) goes on the tubing feeding the input to the filter.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.00 KB)
209_582f6d9955afa.jpg 600X957 px

Posted on: 2016/11/18 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Lowell Barrowes
See User information
Thanks for the picture on the oil filter lines. The ultrsmstic is not the gearstart type.

Posted on: 2016/11/21 4:25
I helped an auto glass man install the windshield with new rubber; 54 Packard convertible, a
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Don't know if anyone has helped you with the transmission cooler line but in case they haven't, I will attach three pictures showing the lines.
1. From the cooler, the two lines run under the front of the oil pan behind the harmonic balancer and take a 90 degree turn toward the rear
2. The lines go down the side of the oil pan, under the motor mount
3. The lines heading toward the back of the ultramatic

Attach file:

jpg  (363.38 KB)
1136_590805d28df69.jpg 1920X1436 px

jpg  (380.96 KB)
1136_590805e861e5d.jpg 1920X1436 px

jpg  (264.30 KB)
1136_59080600d4a39.jpg 1920X1436 px

Posted on: 2017/5/1 23:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved