Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 171

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Intake manifold vacuum line removal 110 38 engine
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JRPackard37
See User information
Hello all,

I am still working on a 37 115 with a 38 model year six engine. I had a question about the vacuum line off the intake manifold. This engine has a newer single action fuel pump for a 1940 six. I traced the intake vacuum line back that should have been connected to the vacuum side of the fuel pump, but since it is not a dual action the line runs straight back across the firewall into the passenger area but is not hooked to anything.

I am assuming this is not good to leave like this

Can I simply dead end the line at the intake manifold? I would then remove the lines. I was wondering if my grandfather was trying to use the wipers and set it up like this. He is no longer living so I can't ask him. The wipers don't work, and I don't need wipers as I will drive in only fair weather.

Thanks. James

Attach file:

jpg  (46.51 KB)
168416_5ab2a4619ce42.jpg 1920X1078 px

Posted on: 2018/3/21 13:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Intake manifold vacuum line removal 110 38 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't the 37 and 38s both have vacuum wipers with the motor under the dash? If so where and what is running the wiper motor or was an electric conversion made. If electric and there is nothing needing the vacuum now then a pipe plug in the manifold rather than the fitting would be in order.

Posted on: 2018/3/21 13:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JRPackard37
See User information
The wipes are vacuum but are not hooked up my guess is that without the dual vacuum fuel pump the line directly from the intake manifold will not make the work. I will just cap the manifold off then. Thanks

James

Posted on: 2018/3/21 21:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You will get some vacuum wiper function with a direct line from the manifold and without the booster pump, that is how the inexpensive cars like Chevrolet and Plymouth did it. Certainly not ideal, but better than nothing.

Posted on: 2018/3/21 21:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If that manifold outlet is the only source of vacuum to the wiper then it won't be able to be plugged. If any of the original tubing is present you could still use it even without the fuel pump portion by coming out of the manifold and going to the pump area and then have another tube back to the wiper motor. The pump just connects in series so use a short length of hose to connect the two tubes in place of the pump to get the wipers operating. You could then install a proper pump at some future time by removing the hose and connecting the tubes to the pump.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 8:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved