Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive Lockout Knob
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
The plastic knob on my overdrive lockout cable was cracked and broken off. With the ridge on the dash side of the cable, it doesn't appear that a new replacement knob can be installed from the inside end in the cable. Is there any way to replace the knob without having remove the inner cable from the liner to add a new knob. The cable is installed on the OD unit and would have to be completely taken out to remove the inner cable. Is there an easier way to add a replacement rather than having remove the cable?

Attach file:

jpg  (137.65 KB)
8531_5bae42e9c0ab5.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2018/9/28 10:04
 Top  Print   

Re: Overdrive Lockout Knob
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It appears the original knob did not slide in over the brass ferrule, it was actually moulded around the ferrule. So a new knob is not going to simply slip on, regardless of how you thought to go about it. I'm not sure just what is the best way to go about a fix, it will be interesting to see what others suggest.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 10:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 47 knob just threads on and am fairly sure it is the same setup on yours. If so you should be able to pull out and hold the shaft to unscrew the insert. I don't know if the OD knob repros have an insert -- if not, the plastic may just thread onto the shaft as some of Yesterday's (LaVine's) other repro knobs did. That seems to work although I did have to use a tap and clean up a repro knob threads I used for another purpose. The plastic on the replacement does seem to hold but it is not under as much stress on my application as the OD knob would be.

One other possibility if you need to keep the insert is to drill out the repro for the insert then fill the cavity around the insert with epoxy. Add two or three small divots to the inside of the cavity so the epoxy can grab into the plastic. McMaster also has different inserts if the lip on the original's end is too big for a safety margin around the hole.

In the chance your knob and insert was molded to the shaft you can remove the bracket, pull out the shaft to expose some working room and prepare the knob as above for the epoxy method. Just let the bracket and shaft hang straight down while gluing but take precautions so the knob is on straight and stays that way while the epoxy cures enough to be hard.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 11:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
Howard,

I wasn't sure if the brass would unscrew. I didn't see any visible threads on either end of the brass so I didn't want to try twisting it without some confirmation. I'll try to see if it will unscrew. Thanks, Joe

FYI - I'm getting close to putting some gas in the tank to test the fuel gauge!

Posted on: 2018/9/28 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Most of them that I've seen simply unscrew with the metal knurreled part shown in your photo being molded with the plastic. I have one for a prewar that I'll need to check when next at my shop!

Posted on: 2018/9/28 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Wareham
See User information
The brass does in fact screw off. Thanks for the help.

Joe

Posted on: 2018/9/29 10:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved