Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 33

Caribbeandude, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Build Codes - Revision 4 April 11, 1956
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Recently departed friend and regular correspondent on these pages Randy Berger left me a large amount of 1956 Packard factory and dealer literature, delivered to me today by his daughter Brandy. Some of it was quite familiar but there was a document dated April 11, 1956 titled "Approved Codes for 1956 Series" and noted as the 4th Revision. Is this old ground that we've been over before? A few things I had either not previously seen, or had forgotten about:

In the export category, in addition to the usual kilo speedometer, heavy duty springs, shocks, torsion bars, were two different "Low Compression Engine Equipment" codes, XH presumeably for export in general, and code CXH specifically for Canada. I guess the difference was the shim thickness?

Under Tires, Code OT for oversize 8.20x15 4-ply whitewalls for senior cars, tube-type or tubeless! Code SP for standard size blackwalls in 6-ply construction. Code SW for standard size whitewalls in 6-ply construction. Again, all those tires again listed as available both tube-type and tubeless.

In the Special Equipment section, two in particular, one of which was pointed out to us a while back by Roscoe Stelford: "High Speed Equipment 5680 only" - code HR. And "Racing Car Equipment 5660 only" - code RC.

At some point if there is any interest expressed I'll get around to scanning that list and adding it here. Anyone have any specific detailed insight into the High Speed Equipment and Racing Equipment? It's been speculated in the past that it might have been in anticipation of success with the fuel injection prototype.

Posted on: 2020/11/27 13:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Build Codes - Revision 4 April 11, 1956
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Dave, that is a wonderful trove of history that I am so happy to see preserved!

Posted on: 2020/11/27 19:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Randy had a lot of Packard information and paper work I knew of his wish was for it to be distributed for anyone to benefit from his efforts and work. He was detail driven and always willing to share. His children are like their father and mother good people who go the extra mile. It is a honor to say they are true friends and my honor to know them

Posted on: 2020/11/28 10:18
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Dave great to know Randy is still contributing to this community through his family and friends.To me that just speaks to the man himself. I for one would love to see scanned copies of these historical build codes.

All the best!

Posted on: 2020/11/30 12:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As requested, Kip. My guess, given the timing, is that the revision was to reflect the addition of the Executive to the product line though I don't have Revision 3 available to confirm.

Note manual shift now available on senior Packards including the Caribbean!!

Attach file:

pdf Size: 122.92 KB; Hits: 96
pdf Size: 184.65 KB; Hits: 108
pdf Size: 190.95 KB; Hits: 86

Posted on: 2020/11/30 15:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
OD,
This was included in the Bob Aller CD sold by the Mid-America PAC region.
There were pages 3 and 4 which had trim codes listed.

It would be interesting find out about the HR code for 5680 only.
And
Find out about the RC code for 5660 only.

Since the 5680 build sheets are not available, I wonder if the Studebaker National Museum build sheets for 5660 had any RC codes.

Posted on: 2020/11/30 22:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks LTRD, I have the Aller discs but have never spent a lot of time reviewing them. Now I will.

Posted on: 2020/11/30 22:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Dave these are great documents! Thank you for taking the time to scan and post to the forum.

Posted on: 2020/12/1 9:23
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved