Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
183 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 182

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Carpet '37 1508
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
This twelve touring limo has grey wool broad cloth in passenger area with grey carpet. The drivers area has black leather seats and black carpet. My question is when there are differences in the color should the carpet color match like stated above or should the driver's area have the same color as the passenger section?

I'm also assuming that to be correct the carpets would have been wool. Would it have been cut or looped pile?

Posted on: 5/7 10:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Carpet '37 1508
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DM37
See User information
My research into chauffeured cars is that the drivers cockpit is generally understated from the passenger area and thus, black on black comes up regularly. Often, there is no front radio, painted (not woodgrained) dash and painted (not chromed) steering column as the "staff" driver didnt need/warrant luxuries. This was a post depression cost savings measure, but more likely it set the owner apart from the staff.

An owner could pay for any upgrades they saw fit for the rear as well as the front zone...so, if your particular serial number vehicle has chrome, woodgrain, radio, etc...DONT assume its incorrect unless you see obvious evidence (old photos, prior owner's recollection) that it was diddled with over the years.

The specifics are often found in the parts manual if you look at the trim and fittings chapters by model type...more there than most people know...

In a pinch, get hold of Bob Supina, who is the 1937 guru finalizing his definitive book on 1937 Packards.

Posted on: 5/7 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don B
See User information
I have no idea if this applies to the senior cars, but I have a 1937 138CD limo with the original interior (what’s left of it). The rear passenger area was tan wool with tan carpet. The front chauffeur area used black leather, but had the same carpet as the rear.

What I found for my car is that the carpet is mohair.

Posted on: 5/7 15:14
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DM37
See User information
As Don indicates from his vehicle, it substantiates what the parts manual (P. 331) calls out:

1) either woolen (pile, not loop for that era) OR mohair options for the model 1035 (I think that is what yours is) 7-passenger touring limo.

2) Mohair is less moisture absorptive (made from the hair, not the wool, of older angora goats, not the younglings; older goats have larger diameter coarse stiff hair suitable for carpet), so water droplets and snow bead up on its tips and are easily brushed off.

Wool, is softer and more available (cheaper) but absolutely needs a rubber coated/lined backing as it wicks moisture down. Separate loose top rubber mats (day to day that are removable) often preserve wool carpets until you get to pebble beach and throw them in your pickup truck.

Since either wool or mohair were optional, you can make the decision based on your desires or just replicate what that owner chose to buy at the time.

Is your front/driver compartment the same or did it simplify the chauffeurs carpet to a matting?

Posted on: 5/8 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
Somewhere in my past I recall either reading or hearing the Senior carpet described as 'moss tread'.

Bob

Posted on: 5/8 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
The front is leather seats & panels with black carpet.

Posted on: 5/8 20:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DM37
See User information
I only find vague "Moss Tread" references in post-war Packard citations...never run across it in the pre-war realm.

However, in the 37 sales brochure, there is an image and narrative describing how the carpet type with underlying rubber water-resistant lining is part of the design...in essence they describe the same configuration as the post-war "Moss Tread" references. I think a marketing slogan was introduced post-war to communicate the same condition more easily.

Posted on: 5/9 10:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved