Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuel pump
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
I put on a rebuilt fuel pump and its been working great until now. Its leaking out of the hole in the middle of the pump.

Posted on: 5/10 15:43
 Top  Print   

Re: fuel pump
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That hole is probably an air breather or relief hole above the diaphragm and a leak there would tend to indicate an issue with the diaphragm. Possibly it was too tight and has developed a split or crack. This can happen if the two halves were screwed together and diaphragm was clamped down without the arm being held against the spring so diaphragm was at its maximum or full stroke when tightened. Another possibility is if it was an old NOS pump or one rebuilt with an NOS original rubber rebuild kit Ethanol or some other additive in modern fuel has destroyed the diaphragm.

Posted on: 5/10 16:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If it is leaking oil out that hole, you might as well just grin and bear it. If it is fuel, you need another pump.

Posted on: 5/10 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe
See User information
Mine does this as well, thankfully just oil. I THINK that breather is supposed to have some sort of filter media. I know mine doesn't have anything in there, so I can usually see a little spritz of oil occasionally when I'm working on that side of the engine. Doesn't seem to bother anything. Just occasionally wiping down the heat shield and pump.

Posted on: 5/11 21:15
Joe Busuito
Greenville, NC
1950 Super Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan, Model 2302-5
327 w/ Ultramatic
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Some of the pumps used what looked like a small gob of horsehair in the vent aperture. I'm not sure what retained it and kept it in place.... and out of the crank case.

Posted on: 5/12 8:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
Its leaking fuel out of it. Its been good for 5 years. Until now.

Posted on: 5/13 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If it's leaking fuel at the vent holes, the diaphragm is ruptured. The pump will need a rebuild or replacement.
It is probably leaking fuel into the engine crankcase, too, so don't delay fixing the problem. I would check the oil for excess thinning or a strong gas odor.

Posted on: 5/13 12:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved