Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear axel cap
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
I have tried searching the forums, but not sure what words to use.
I am trying to open my rear brake drum. This is probably a dumb question, but how do I remove the center cap (yellow part in the attached picture).
The cap has three holes in it, with one in the middle. I created a tool which fits the three holes, and I tried to twist but it doesn't budge. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

John

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 5/12 13:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear axel cap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
There are definitely those who know more, but I believe that is not a cap, but the end of your rear axle. The drum would have a clearance hole in its centre to clear it. I suspect that you simply pull from the rear edge of the drum and that will result in its removal. Make sure the adjustment hardware has the shoes retracted as far in from the drum as possible to enable ease of removal too. Also check that the emergency/parking brake fully releases so you are not fighting shoe contact. Worse case you could use a puller if it's really stuck, but I have found a heavy persuader (hammer) will free up most drums by hitting them on the outside of the shoe contact ring (perimeter).
I would wait for confirmation from others on this, but based on GM/Ford cars I have worked on from this era I expect that this will be the case.
Good luck,
Bob J.

Posted on: 5/12 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All the above. That looks like a 56 axle and once the brake shoes are retracted and away from the drum by making sure the emergency brake is fully released and then using a brake tool or brake spoon to turn the star adjusting wheel so the shoes are completely moved away from the drum it should be free. Do check at each of the studs to make sure there are no spring retaining rings grabbing the studs that are sort of recessed into the stud holes or possibly thin flat pieces of metal sort of like a speed nut on the outside of the drum. Either of those could be pushed over a stud and is retaining the drum to the axle flange. Otherwise it should be free and just pull off unless rust and dust could have caused it to be sticking on the axle at the center hole or the stud holes.

Here is a photo from the 55-6 service manual 56 axle supplement showing what the axle looks like without the drum. If you don't have a manual it can be downloaded from the literature archive.

Attach file:

jpg  axle.jpg (50.20 KB)
209_66411e519bf7c.jpg 434X560 px

Posted on: 5/12 14:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jgrohn
See User information
Thanks for the advice. A tap on the drum, and it just fell out. Sometimes the manual is easier to understand once the parts are in your hands and off the car.

Posted on: 5/23 1:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved