Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 193

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 147 148 149 (150) 151 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I will get back on the rear windows soon. I think I have the driver's sides all sorted out now.

Have been polishing the grill. That center section is a PITA. Its not cleaning up as well as the two smaller end pieces did.

I never got an answer to my last question, if anyone has a better source for the carpeting. I am not happy with what I have and might buy another.

Attach file:

jpg  20240518_150647_resized.jpg (687.96 KB)
5209_664922099e97c.jpg 2016X1134 px

jpg  20240518_150637_resized.jpg (732.04 KB)
5209_6649221a8e594.jpg 1134X2016 px

Posted on: 5/18 16:49
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
On the carpets, I would go with SMS in Oregon. Yes, they probably cost more but they should fit perfectly and be a perfect match to what your car had originally. Companies like Stock Interiors often sell generic carpet in spite their name. SMS also has excellent customer support and are reasonably fast on anything except door cards which could take a long, long time. I sent them the seat skins from my 1956 Clipper when I was there last month expecting it would take a couple years to get them back but got the message a couple days ago that they have already been completed!

Posted on: 5/18 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

Stewart Ballard wrote:
I am not going to be able to help with that small piece of reynolds wrap as I have the same problem. I think I probably put body filler over mine as well. I asked about it here several months ago but never got a response.

The parts book gives these as Pan Head Self Tappers, #8 x 3/8". In other words these, except these are 1 inch.

The question is whether I can make it look good as you can see the alignment is not perfect and there is NO play in the mounting studs on this one.

Attach file:

jpg  20240518_202339.jpg (7,418.87 KB)
225076_664946bbe6f3f.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 5/18 19:24
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Actually so the lower hole in the trim doesn't line up with that slot. The parts book makes it clear that 2 screws per side should be used, but I don't see on my particular car where the lower hole was, even looking from behind. However, just one screw really seems sufficient to keep it on, since the comb asy holds it down and in place. (Reynolds trim shifted to the left a bit between first and second picture.)

The screw is as in my previous post; I just chopped it down to 3/8" long, using some cutters.

Attach file:

jpg  20240519_000851.jpg (529.88 KB)
225076_664986120c339.jpg 1256X2233 px

jpg  20240519_001253.jpg (6,143.69 KB)
225076_6649861d0a12f.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 5/18 23:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have not been in my shop for a week, hoping to get some time Friday or this weekend for sure.

Thanks for the pictures of that Reynold's wrap. I need to attach mine.

If SMS sales carpet they forgot to add it to their website. Their products page shows "Carpet Sets" but there is no link, like the other pages have.
I guess I will give them call soon and confirm.

Lastly, I misspoke about the rear window fuzzies. I said I sent them to RTRW for rebuild but I actually sent them to Restoration Specialties. I called them and did receive my shipment but have not got to them yet. Evidently the owner (Jeff) does all the work himself and he is busy getting ready for the next show or one after that and so on.

Attach file:

png  sms.png (26.35 KB)
5209_664f97566abf8.png 873X484 px

Posted on: 5/23 14:23
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes SMS sells carpet sets. IIRC it would have been $500 for mine.

Posted on: 5/23 14:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
If SMS sales carpet they forgot to add it to their website. Their products page shows "Carpet Sets" but there is no link, like the other pages have. I guess I will give them call soon and confirm.

As I’ve said many times before, sites are virtually never up to date unless they are programmed directly to their inventory control and most parts houses don’t have inventory control and certainly don’t update their sites after they are created! Call or email them.

Posted on: 5/24 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
All 4 windows are in and working!
The rear windows make a lot of noise but the movements are fairly smooth.
No clue when I will get the stainless trim in due to the repair job on the fuzzies that I mentioned before.

I emailed SMS late last week and sent me samples quickly. I got them today.
Since there is a 3-hour time difference between me and SMS I went ahead and called them today and placed an order. Hopefully, it will not take the projected six to eight weeks to complete but if it does, it does.

Attach file:

jpg  20240528_151316_resized.jpg (567.64 KB)
5209_6656689f6b9eb.jpg 2016X1134 px

jpg  20240528_151338_resized.jpg (625.36 KB)
5209_665668bcb02fe.jpg 2016X1134 px

Posted on: 5/28 18:38
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Aside from the noise does the new motor appear to be straining to lift the quarter window like the original motors? Without the stainless and windows rubbing the fuzzy sides the load is considerably less so adding those could change things. How much strain is there on the new couplings? As you may have read, Riki had one of his couplings fail not long ago, I think due to a setscrew breaking or coming loose, but still required a disassembly. Hopefully you have multiple screws on your different design coupling and it doesn't rely on just one or two screws.

With the small movement at the front where the arm slides to pivot and lift the mass of the quarter window and no mechanical advantage to speak of other than the one coiled tension spring in the regulator the motor does need to lift a lot of weight. When I did mine I was thinking of possible ways to help it out but never got around to doing anything.

If the strain is still evident without the stainless the possibly that one end of an extension spring could be fastened to sheetmetal or the floor comes to mind. By attaching a length or wire rope to the other end and the piece of linkage connecting the motor section to regulator perhaps an extra spring could be placed a distance away so it would not interfere with the regulator or window but would still provide a bit more help to better balance the load in the up direction. Another possibility is mounting the spring off to the side and use a pulley to redirect the pull. Do you see any room or possibility of something like that being able to be done or a better linkage to use?

I don't remember how much travel the linkage does at that point to know if the spring could be hooked up directly or if it would need a compound pulley arrangement and stronger spring to reduce the spring extension. Of course, this would all be moot if the new motor is noticeably stronger and doesn't strain like the originals.

Posted on: 5/28 22:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Well, I cannot be very scientific about it but I am not noticing any strain at all on the motors.
Full disclosure here, I never saw nor heard the original motors raise the windows. Since I had to replace the whole wire harness, it is all new to me.

Like the turn signals. I installed the flasher fuse this morning and just like that, I have turn signals. Still cannot believe I re-wired that whole steering column and got it right the first time.

Anyway, back to the windows. Each coupling has 4 set screws. The original pair and the pair I added.
When I built my prototype last year I ran it up and down over 200 times with no problem but that was without a load.

I did have to locate a pair of shorter couplings for the rear window. They are identical to the front window couplings but about 3/16" shorter. I needed every bit of that 3/8 as the motor sits lower in the body than the front motors so, the space was narrower.

At the moment I am more than pleased with this setup but only time will tell.

Posted on: 5/29 20:43
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 147 148 149 (150) 151 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved