Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

wgb1956, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What metal nuts/washers for head and manifolds?
Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
1951 288. What metal nuts/washers for head and manifolds? Thinking stainless. What grade? I don't like acorns. Nuts/washers won't be painted.

Posted on: 6/4 6:31
 Top  Print   

Re: What metal nuts/washers for head and manifolds?
Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
If you take one of the head nuts and washers to a place that specializes in fasteners, for me it's Calgary Fasteners, they will be able to tell you what grade the originals are and get you something equivalent. I would guess around a #8.

Posted on: 6/4 9:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
I would use Grade 8 also except I'm thinking stainless steel.

Fromhttps://www.stsindustrial.com/products/grade-8-stainless-steel-heavy-hex-nut-domestic/:

"Grade 8 SS Heavy Hex Nut Domestic

Domestic ASTM A194 Grade 8 heavy hex nuts are manufactured from AISI 304 grade stainless steel, tested to meet ASTM A194 Grade 8, and are melted and manufactured in the USA. Dimensional specifications are governed by ASME B18.2.2. Grade markings for A194 Grade 8 heavy hex nuts consists of the number 8. Grade 8 stainless steel heavy hex nuts are intended for use in high-pressure and/or high-temperature service with ASTM A193 bolting of similar material, such as B8 and B8 Class 2. Heavy hex nuts provide increased bearing surface area over finished nuts."

It sounds like in other words, 304 is equivalent to Grade 8.

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 6/4 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
My thought is that stainless steel, as long as it's hard enough will be fine, if they are dimensionally the same size. If the nuts or washers are a different size, or softer metal, then I would be concerned about them not torqueing down correctly, and/or not maintaining their correct torque.

When I put my head back on I torqued it, warmed it up and retorqued it. After a couple of drives I retorqued it again. This was on the advice of a couple of of the forum members, the service manual does not say to do this. I found it was probably a good idea and may retorque the head again this year.

Posted on: 6/4 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I really doubt you would gain anything by using 8 grade unless the studs are also 8 grade. Also, as I recall, the nuts had a larger hex size than those with that thread size usually have but I’m not at my shop so can’t give the sizes off-hand. Prewar manifold nuts, at least on junior models, were actually brass although they were much longer than usual.

As for acorn nuts, I don’t think they’re attractive at all but that’s just my own taste.

Posted on: 6/4 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Both the studs and the washers are listed in the Utility section of the parts book, but they do not have a G prefix part number. So not necessarily common, but not too special either.

A standard hex nut is 3/8" tall (same as listed) but 5/8" tall ones are also available.

That being said, referencing a torque chart gives Grade 8 as 60 ft-lbs for 7/16 x 20 TPI. So I would use Grade 8. Remember that automobile torque charts generally assume "wet" torque not "dry" torque. I would apply some thin oil to these connections before tightening, otherwise the clamping force will probably be too low.

It's worth noting that elsewhere in the manual, a 7/16 x 20 TPI connection is given as 45-50 ft-lbs, such as for the clutch release lever ball nut, which is a Grade 5 torque (in between wet and dry).

Posted on: 6/4 14:44
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved