Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 210

MHP, humanpotatohybrid, Soybeanfarmer1 , DavidPackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35)

Re: 1937 120 Conv. Sedan - Blanche
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
My 120 has a similar operating cycle. They do tend to run warm at idle, especially if you've been driving for a while. When you had your water pump off, did you also inspect the water distribution tube>

Posted on: 6/4 11:49
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation. Project blog / Registry

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015 Project blog / Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks. I don't think the water distribution tube was looked at when we had it off. I will add that to the list when I remove the clip, probably fall or next year. Going to enjoy the ride for while!

Posted on: 6/4 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
So the drip has increased, and I can see now that it is indeed coming from the bottom of the water pump. I just put a new pump on last year.

What are the potential issues I should look to correct? Could it just be a bad gasket? I can see that it is not wet in the "cup" of the under packing nut.

Thoughts appreciated
Ben

Posted on: 6/11 9:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
It's probably best to remove the water pump and inspect it and all the gasket surfaces and look for evidence of leakage at the attaching bolts. The pump body consists of an iron casting and a steel cover plate. Leaks can occur at the attaching bolts, the steel plate and its bolts and gaskets, the seal, and possibly due to a crack or defect in the pump casting. Heater hose fittings and connections at the water pump can also leak, as can the water inlet hose connection.

Posted on: 6/11 12:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did you use any sealants on the gaskets? Do the bolts that need them have their copper washers?

Posted on: 6/11 15:14
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Thanks Tx and BK. I will look to address later this summer. We did use sealant, but not sure on the brass washers. May need to upgrade the gasket.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 6/12 6:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

37Blanche
See User information
Also. Will I need to remove the front clip in order to inspect the Water Distribution tube? I assume yes, as it looked a bit longer than the room between Rad and block.

Posted on: 6/12 6:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 32 33 34 (35)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved