Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
327 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 327

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 147 148 149 (150) 151 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

DavidPackard wrote:
Thanks Kevin

I would say both the nut and the drum came off as we all would hope for . . . or that’s the most powerful impact gun imaginable. Nice video!

dp

The torque spec is 200 to 270 ft-lbs and he is using an Earthquake XT impact which gives about 500 ft-lbs real world breakaway torque.

Posted on: 6/12 12:51
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
Quote:

DavidPackard wrote:
Kevin

It’s a bit off topic but I know you’ve recently had the rear drums off. Two questions: 1.) Were the axle nuts found to have about the same torque as when you installed them? 2.) Did the hub/drums release with little effort?
I’m just trying to get another data point on whether the axle nut torque initially relaxes with use.

dp

David - The axle nuts came off pretty easily with the impact gun. I would say it wasn't the same torque as when I put them on....but I didn't measure removal with a torque wrench. The drum itself put up some fight, but much easier than initially getting them off the first time. The parking brake wasn't fully disengaged when I popped the drums, so take that with a grain of salt.

I threw together a quick video of the drum removal. You can see how quick the axle nut came off with the impact, starting at 1:37

Nice video, Kevin. Perhaps we could collab sometime, if we can think of any reason to.

Posted on: 6/12 13:02
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

TxGoat wrote:
The master cylinder can leak inside the firewall. If you have drum brakes on the rear, normal wear of the linings can account for the fluid "loss", especially if the dual circuit master cylinder has a smaller reservoir connected to the rear brakes.

Both of the reservoirs are the same size. I haven't seen any fluid inside the car, but I'll pull the carpet back tonight and double check. Both rears needed adjustments to the shoes as I felt they were too loose. One of the fronts was loose as well.

The master cylinder is old. I think it's some sort of old Ford master, from what I can tell. It's definitely possible that it's leaking/failing. I'll have to consider my options going forward. If I go back the TreadleVac I will have a fairly large hole in the firewall that will need to be addressed. I suppose I can plug the bolt holes with some grommets, but not sure what to do about the big hole for the brake rod. But that's a problem for another day. If I can continue to use the brakes as is I will do that.

-Kevin

Posted on: 6/12 13:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

humanpotatohybrid wrote:
Nice video, Kevin. Perhaps we could collab sometime, if we can think of any reason to.

I'd be down for that. I'm not a great videographer or editor, but I figure more videos about Packards and working on them will help newcomers to the hobby. As you know, our generation and younger leans heavily on YouTube to learn how to do things....I use it all the time to learn new skills. Maybe something you or I produce will help someone else.

-Kevin

Posted on: 6/12 13:16
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
If you have a vacuum booster between the firewall and the master cylinder, fluid may leak into it. With no booster, any fluid leaking from the master cylinder cups would have to either run down the outside of the firewall or down the inside of it. If it leaks inside, insulation or carpeting may absorb it. Old school brake fluid usually released a distinct aroma if any significant amount of it leaked into the cabin, but I don't know if modern fluids have much odor to them.

Posted on: 6/12 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Dug into it more tonight. No signs of leaks from the master cylinder. I retraced the lines from the master, and it turns out the rear reservoir is actually for the front brake circuit. The lines are hard to follow due to how the previous owner set them up. No leaks evident on the front system either. I think part of it may have been the shoes wearing, as my driver's front needed a decent adjustment.

Refilled the reservoirs and bled all the brakes twice to purge any air. The pedal is very firm now. The adjustments on the shoes at all four corners definitely helped as well.

Test drive was great. Brakes are firm and no pulling. I'll keep and eye on the fluid levels to see if it starts dropping again. Thanks everyone for your help.

-Kevin

Posted on: 6/12 23:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Hi Kevin, good that things are not leaking. It is correct Design that the rear Port on the Master cyl is connected to the front brakes.

Posted on: 6/13 20:42
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Show prep today after work. Local show tomorrow that should have pretty good attendance if the weather cooperates. Washed and waxed the Panama, clayed and waxed the Super 8. The Super hasn't had wax in about a decade, but the paint was still surprisingly good.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/14 19:28
 Top  Print   
Like (2)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Local car show yesterday, and it was well attended. 184 cars this year, up from 103 last year. We were able to get both the Panama and the Super 8 there this year. I wasn't able to stay for much of it, but the cars stayed the whole time. There was a lot of interest, especially in the Super. Most people have never seen one.

Got a quick Father's Day drive in with the kids today also.

Posted on: 6/16 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Towed the Panama a couple hours away to hit a show with my brother in law. I really need to get my own trailer

He got his 200 ready to go, cleaned up really nice. Still need to address some engine issues, but it still runs well enough.

At the show. Going to be 400+ cars here. Hoping to see some other Packards. So far lots of interest in our two cars.

Posted on: 6/22 11:26
 Top  Print   
Wow (1)

« 1 ... 147 148 149 (150) 151 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved