Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 226

109settle, kevinpackard, ‘29 633 Mel, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1951 oil filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Pretty sure all these filters assumed flow from outside to inside

You would think so but not the case. The Purolator filters Packard used prewar (also sold aftermarket) had a bottom inlet and all the oil went inside to outside. There were issues with hydraulic lifters in 356 engines when the filters clogged too early even soon after being changed so Packard issued special elements, then went to a canister with a relief valve that would open and bypass the filter entirely if clogged and finally revised the plumbing so the lifters got a direct unfiltered flow from the supply port coming straight from the pump. That is when they started dumping the filtered return oil straight into the crankcase.

After the war they reversed filter flow and went outside to inside and kept the final version of the prewar plumbing on the 356. For whatever reason they went back to the filter outlet going to the lifter port on the early 288/327 blocks. I suppose it was probably because the 288 replaced the 282 which had solid lifters and the same setup. With the 288 and the early 327s only available with solid lifters I guess they figured it would be fine. When hydraulic lifters started to be the norm instead of an option on those engines they finally saw the light and starting in 51 put the return port in the block on the smaller engines too.. That same basic plumbing setup and outside to inside filter flow lasted thru 56.

Posted on: 6/18 21:19
Howard
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I believe that’s either aftermarket or prewar and in either case the flow is reversed from the stock filter for 1951. You’ll need to get the proper one before proceeding and again, here’s another photo I just found of the proper one.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/18 22:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Soybeanfarmer1
See User information
Thank you guys all for your assistance and information on this topic. I suppose I'll try and see if I can find a 51 filter cannister at least that way the hookup will be much simpler. Hopefully they aren't too hard to find! This is my first Packard so it's definitely been a learning experience so far as mine isn't quite car show ready lol, at least I did get the head gasket fixed that way it's drivable. Thanks again for everyone's help I'm sure you'll see me posting again!

Thanks Nathan

Posted on: 6/19 19:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Many of the folks here start with cars that need a lot of work!

That's what's the Project Blogs are all about.

Posted on: 6/19 19:39
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although I had the one in my stock from my photos I posted, it turned out to be rusted out in places so I bought a good one from Gerry at Packards Southwest but Mike at Tucson Packards should also be able to help. These are plentiful but be sure you also get the steel lines and fittings.

Posted on: 6/19 20:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Quote:

Soybeanfarmer1 wrote:
Thank you guys all for your assistance and information on this topic. I suppose I'll try and see if I can find a 51 filter cannister at least that way the hookup will be much simpler. Hopefully they aren't too hard to find! This is my first Packard so it's definitely been a learning experience so far as mine isn't quite car show ready lol, at least I did get the head gasket fixed that way it's drivable. Thanks again for everyone's help I'm sure you'll see me posting again!

Thanks Nathan

Your car is always car show ready! You might not get an invitation to Pebble Beach, but there are lots of people that would love to see and hear about your car!

After a few projects you'll know your car inside and out and people will be asking you for help! 😄

Posted on: 6/19 20:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved