Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

New guy with engine serial number/date code question
Just popping in
Just popping in

Crusty Caballero
See User information
New to the forum and to Packard. I recently picked up an engine/trans that I believe to be a '48 based on the serial number (G285396CE) but date codes on the block (1-26-1949) and head (1-21-1949) don't seem to agree. Am I reading the decoder wrong, are those not date codes, were they still stamping 48s into 49, or what?

Built a stand, rebuilt carb, changed points/plugs and was able to run it briefly until I can set up a radiator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZT4kNjIlew

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 6/24 13:40
 Top  Print   

Re: New guy with engine serial number/date code question
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
First, read through this:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2727

But also you should know that Packard made their cars by "series", not model year. The 22nd series bridged the 1948-49 model year. That being said, most cars will have both a Series and model year number. So you could have a 1948 22nd series car, or a 1949 22nd series car. Or a 1949 23rd series car...

Posted on: 6/24 14:05
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

packardbill
See User information
I think you are confusing a 22nd series engine serial# with 1948 only. In fact 22nd series went into 1949. Engine casting date being Jan 1949 suggests that the engine probably went into a 22nd series car.

We obviously responded at same time.

Posted on: 6/24 14:09
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

Just popping in
Just popping in

Crusty Caballero
See User information
Thanks guys. First thing I did, even before joining this forum, was find the packardinfo.com serial number data. But I did not understand the series vs years thing so that clears it up. No idea what it came out of (other than what a 288 would have been in) as I bought it sitting on a pallet after who knows how many years. It's a nice introduction to Packard though and already has me looking at a local '46 with the 356.

Posted on: 6/24 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 356 was used from 1940 through 1950 but be prepared to spend LOTS of money if you buy one that must be rebuilt! If you do find a good one not needing work, be sure to buy a Packard that used that engine originally as I believe the front chassis was longer to accommodate it but if not, the suspension was heavier to accommodate the extra weight.

Posted on: 6/24 19:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Crusty Caballero
See User information
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Seems nothing I get interested in is cheap! I didn't commit the exact model to memory since I was mainly looking for an engine at the time but it's supposed to be original to the car and with ~75k showing on odometer.

Posted on: 6/24 21:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved