Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: missing ignition switch?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Better to connect it to an external tank with electric fuel pump and give it fresh gasoline. I use a Fiberglas boat tank for the purpose but small steel tanks are cheap and easy to find. Dumping gasoline into the carburetor does not meter it properly so you'll never know how well it runs by doing that and it's a major fire risk!

Posted on: Yesterday 15:07
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tristar500
See User information
Had fire extinguisher at ready! (I keep one in all my vehicles)

So, update, She runs!
I removed the carburetor and did as much flushing and cleaning as I could without taking the whole thing apart.
It worked!
The throttle was stiff but a quick shot of PB Blaster freed that up (I'll follow with some proper oil later)

I was feeding the engine with a modified bottle about two feet above carburetor and it would run for maybe 20 seconds before it quit.
I know the carb is not optimum so not sure why this is. I can increase and decrease RPM with a twist of the throttle.

Perhaps I need greater fuel pressure than 2 feet of head pressure it's getting from a bottle hanging off the hood?

I've got some blueish smoke at the exhaust but that could be (?) from the ATF I dosed each of the cylinders with after removing plugs to lube top end.

Somewhere I have a lift pump from my diesel suburban. Perhaps that could temporarily take the place of the stock fuel pump for experimentation.

Thanks for your help, everybody! What did we do before the internet?"

Posted on: Yesterday 19:50
He Who Is Without Oil Shall Throw The First Rod.
'49 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations. Without a filter, gravity with a couple of feet as a head should provide plenty of fuel pressure so unless you were running fuel thru the typical ceramic filter Packard used I expect you still have a carb issue you need to sort. No idea how much pressure a lift pump will supply but the stock mechanical pump on the engine puts out about 4 1/2 psi. Those old carbs cannot accept much more than 5 or 6 psi at the carb inlet or pressure will overpower the inlet valve operated by the float and gas will pour into the carb and then leak down into the manifold.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Before the internet: make friends at a local car club and call or ask them at meetings, talk to a neighbor or family member who knew cars, read the service manual, motor manuals, and library books on how to be a DIY mechanic. Of course, back in the day, all of these sources were much more available.

What I wonder is how people kept obscure brass era cars (i.e. not Model T's) running before the internet when they were 70 years old already.

Posted on: Yesterday 20:36
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tristar500
See User information
I can look up the part and see what the pressure is. Another way would be to do a more secure container that I could raise a little higher.
I think the carb is still in need of some TLC. But at least it's running.

Odometer reads 96,000 That seems like a lot for an older car. Any thoughts guys?

Posted on: Yesterday 21:04
He Who Is Without Oil Shall Throw The First Rod.
'49 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
It is a lot. But usually not enough to kill a Packard Straight 8.

Run a compression test if you want.

If your carb and ignition is ancient it will never run well, just keep working through it.

Posted on: Today 5:25
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I always recommend taking out the plugs and filling the cylinders with oil, loosely screwing the plugs back and letting it sit for a few days, before trying to start a car that hasn’t been run in years. You have to then remove the plugs, lay a towel down the engine’s head and crank it over a few times to blow out the excess. When it starts, it will really smoke for a while as it burns off the residue but at least you’ll know that the rings and valve guides are lubricated.

Posted on: Today 12:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved