Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 68

Gar, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: WTB: 1939-40 160 Coupe Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If the 120 was sluggish there was something wrong with it. There are many old cars running around in a poor state of tune or just completely clapped out --the owners have unbelievably low expectations of how the cars should run.

A nice fresh 282 with OD will run along at 75+ all day if it needs to. Porting and relieving has a very good effect, as does a slightly warmer cam grind. Some careful attention to the head will get the CR closer to the 8:1 neighborhood.

I am not so much a 356 fan because of the weight that makes the car nose heavy, the hydraulic lifters, and generally more difficult to source parts. Needless to say any dual sidemounts have to go.

If you are changing to the longer engine, then for competition I would go with a 327 (which was a factory substitution after 356 production ceased). You are already up to 160 hp without lifting a finger and much more is readily available.

Posted on: Today 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I used to have a VHS copy of an old Packard company film where they compare the performance of the new 1940 Super Eight with the 356 CI against an older model 1939 Super Eight. The '40 absolutely blew the doors off of the '39 in a straight line acceleration test. Those cars had very impressive performance.

Posted on: Today 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
They also had to « sell » that the 356 was a fitting replacement for the 12

The big Buick engine was similar in power. The 356 was about 20% more horses than the Cadillac V8.

Posted on: Today 16:33
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

FirstEliminator
See User information
The 356 is a longer block than the 282. Which block would the 327 be related to?

Ross, dual side mounts? Like the spare tires?

Posted on: Today 17:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved