Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

BDeB, Packard Don, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 spark plug threads.
Just popping in
Just popping in

Flybiker18
See User information
The car was running fine, after a few short trips 30 miles or less over a few weeks it began to break up while driving. Sometimes it would take a bit for it to start up once turned off, but then id go for a loop (3-4 mile drive) and about half way it would begin to break up under load. It would idle fine, drive just fine up until that time then it would get worse and either shut off or not restart if i shut it down. I cleaned the carb, changed the plugs, installed a new fuel filter before the carburetor. I did notice a couple of the spark plugs had come out by hand using no force, one of which i was able to lift right out without turning....... what is the easiest way to repair the threads or get these plugs to stay in...... i believe this may be the cause of my breaking up issues. If anyone can assist it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posted on: Today 18:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 spark plug threads.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Definitely a source of concern. You need to torque the sparkplugs in properly to seat the metal gaskets and keep compression as high as possible. Anything less could cause blow-by and break down the ground between the plug and the head destroying the spark itself.
It sounds like there is no thread left in some of the plug holes when you comment that you were able to simply lift the plug from the hole.
You may be able to use a sparkplug helicoil kit in the affected holes, this will allow your plugs to thread in and be torqued properly to allow proper performance.
I have not dealt with this issue so I believe you may have to work with a supplier such as Max Merritt or Kanter to get advice as to what product is best for you.
Others may have had this occur and add to my comments before you decide the best course of action, but I feel you are correct in that you do have a serious problem that needs addressing before your car will perform properly.
Bob J.

Posted on: Today 21:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved