Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (16 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Polarizing generator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Ok, I removed the ground wire from the arm and it is charging now

I cleaned the terminals

With volt meter, it was idling at about 6.2 and going to 7 amps when revving,
Worked the same with the headlights on. Ammeter on dash was showing same result .

With the car off, ground wire showed 2.3 ohms if I tested it right.

What do I do with the ground wire now?

I am going to clean the field terminals
And attach the condenser to the arm.

Posted on: Yesterday 14:44
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
Ok, I removed the ground wire from the arm and it is charging now

I cleaned the terminals

With volt meter, it was idling at about 6.2 and going to 7 amps when revving,
Worked the same with the headlights on. Ammeter on dash was showing same result .

With the car off, ground wire showed 2.3 ohms if I tested it right.

I am going to clean the field terminals
And attach the condenser to the arm.

Posted on: Yesterday 14:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

If it is the factory ground wire that is going to the fender terminal strip, the generator end should be connected to the same screw the condenser body is using for its mount. That screw is pointed out in the radio condenser instructions in post #19. If your generator is a bit different than the diagram, the ground point is typically a screw that will be threaded directly into the generator body and will not have any insulating washers or other material surrounding it. There should only be 3 wires and the condenser connected to the generator. Any other wires would not be stock and would need to be chased to find where going.

Posted on: Yesterday 14:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
Ground wire should connect here. You're just about there!

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Yesterday 18:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
2.3 ohms is about 2 ohms too high but it's probably fine. I would connect it to the generator chassis like the others are saying. Again, be sure to clean the corrosion off both the connector and generator housing where is sits.

Posted on: Yesterday 19:07
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
All I now have to do is clean the terminals and attach the ground wire to the condenser nut.

Thank you, all for your replies. I can’t believe that we got my problem solved without profession help.

I tried to be diligent in taking pictures before I took anything apart, but that ground wire was surely in the wrong place.

Thanks again, you members are the best!

Posted on: Yesterday 21:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
All I now have to do is clean the terminals and attach the ground wire to the condenser nut.

Thank you, all for your replies. I can’t believe that we got my problem solved without profession help.

I tried to be diligent in taking pictures before I took anything apart, but that ground wire was surely in the wrong place.

Thanks again, you members are the best!

Posted on: Yesterday 21:07
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
With some time, energy and investigation you'll find you can do many repairs on your car. It helps you get to know, and appreciate, your car. It also makes the hobby much more affordable!

Good job!!!

Posted on: Yesterday 23:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
Not sure if this helps, or is much different, but these are the instructions from the shop that rebuilt my generator when I was having issues.

1.disconnect the field wire off the generator.
2-use a jumper wire and hook to the field term, than hook it up to a ground,this will tell you if the generator is working or not.
check the output,it should go to 8volts and higher, if it doesnt than your generator isnt doing its job,,im hoping the armature that i rebuilt is holding up.
3 if the generator is working ,than your regulator maybe giving you the issue.
4.you have a spare regulator, if thats your problem,switch them out,hook up all the wires to the reg,and polorize it,,you do this by taking a jumper wire and flashing the battery to gen connection on your regulator,,,
recheck charging system...if this doesnt help you may have to bring it back and ill have to retestand reset the reg

Changing your belt shouldn't have caused issues, I don't need to tell you that, but something's going on.....

It doesn't matter now, but I realize I wrote step 2 wrong before. They made generators both ways and sometimes I forget whether the field is internally powered or internally grounded. Ford tended to use the latter, apparently, whereas the former was the standard for everyone else.

Posted on: Yesterday 23:29
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved