Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
25 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 23

53 Cavalier, Oldcarretta, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: WTB: 1939-40 160 Coupe Super 8
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FirstEliminator
See User information
thanks for the link. I prefer the 40 with the headlights suspended.

Posted on: 7/8 20:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
No idea what condition your 120 is, but as a donor car, that 160 is worth every penny for what you would need.

Posted on: 7/8 22:46
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FirstEliminator
See User information
The seller claims the 120 drives. If there is no big twisted or rusty surprise, I will be pulling it on the rollback to head home. The 160 is near by the 120. I'm kinda thinking about picking up both....just can't do both at the same time. This particular 120 is so far the best choice for what I want to do. Go through all mechanicals, do a decent at home paint job and take it to the Great Race next year. The 160 would require undivided effort to get it done in a year. It's probably possible to do. However, with lots of irons in the fire, I have multiple other projects going on at the same time. House, transmission shop/business, other cars, trucks, equipment, bus and of course family.
Here is some of what I like to do:
https://www.youtube.com/@scatteredrustyprojects/videos

Posted on: 7/8 23:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FirstEliminator
See User information
Today, I left work at a half day to pick up the 120 that is about a 5 hour drive away. my daughter and I were driving my 1997 Ford F-800 rollback down the NY Thruway. While this engine normally gets a little clacky sounding over long stretches of highway, it seemed like the noise was getting a little more than normal. Then the noise went up exponentially and I noticed an oil cloud trailing us. Then the noise stopped. I pulled over and looked underneath.
A hole in the block from a rod that let loose. I attempted to restart the truck, but the starter just spun. Ugh..... I banged on the end a couple times with a pipe and then it engaged and stated the engine. Running on 4 or 5 cylinders I limped it the one mile to the next exit. Thankfully it made it because towing a truck off the NY Thruway can be very costly. I found a place to park the truck just off the exit. My wife picked us up and a friend is going to haul my truck with his RGN trailer tomorrow.
I didn't get the Packard today. Hopefully Friday or Saturday I can make another attempt.

Posted on: 7/9 21:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information

Posted on: Yesterday 10:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FirstEliminator
See User information
Yes, I've talked with the 160 guy several times. At this point, a running car is much preferred. Still considering the 160....

Posted on: Yesterday 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The key is how many of the parts exclusive to the 160 are there? Otherwise it’s more equal to a rough 120 with a few160 parts

Posted on: Yesterday 14:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
from the radiator to the rear axle, NEARLY ALL mechanical parts are different. thinking here, only the base internals of the transmission (NOT the 356 overdrive) and maybe the u-joints and the pinion seal. I would not hesitate to buy the 160 if a conversion into a running 120 is the plan. And by the way I believe there is an indentation in the firewall to accommodate the 356.

Crystal ball - you buy the 120 coupe, get it prepped for Great Race 2025 and "in your spare time" work on the 160 Coupe which will be the long term project.

Posted on: Yesterday 21:33
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

FirstEliminator
See User information
Spare Time? Did you see the story where a rod went through the block on my tow truck on the way to get the 120?

I'd really like to get the 160. It's going to mean buying another truck trailer to keep it in for a while.
The 120 itself is going to be a lot of work to get ready for Great Race. Engine Rebuild, Trans w/OD, all the other mechanicals, a transmission shop paint job, some interior stuff. Plus, maybe adding an underdash A/C unit....probably adding A/C. It was constant sweating being in the car all day. Yeah, A/C.

Posted on: Today 0:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Quote:

FirstEliminator wrote:
Plus, maybe adding an underdash A/C unit....probably adding A/C. It was constant sweating being in the car all day. Yeah, A/C.

Or get a 40 with factory AC! 😊

Posted on: Today 7:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved