Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 204

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: WTB: 1939-40 160 Coupe Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

CCR
See User information
Maybe get a smaller battery based generator and go this route.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 7/12 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That's too funny, I took this picture this week.

Attach file:

jpg  20240708_175038.jpg (4,227.18 KB)
5061_6691fc706f5e8.jpg 4032X3024 px

Posted on: 7/12 23:03
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Last year I saw this genius on the road...

Attach file:

jpeg  Resized_20230705_164044.jpeg (510.26 KB)
5061_6691ff68c8eb3.jpeg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 7/12 23:15
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

FirstEliminator
See User information
ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop looking...... Today, in the afternoon I now own a Packard. I bought the disassembled 160 Super 8 Coupe. The seller was awesome. Very nice guy, knowledgeable and accommodating. This 160 is very solid. Needs a lot of work, but a great foundation and the 160 is my preference over the 120. Glad and excited I got it!

The morning was another thing.....not so good. Bad situation actually. I looked at the primer grey 120 today. It is worth half, or less than what he is asking. It needs everything. The seller said it is ready for paint. There are rust streaks coming out of cracks in the bondo. A bunch of places on the car had spray foam bulging out. Panels were dented in a filled. The door bottoms were a tidal wave of bondo. Everywhere on that car is heavy plastic filler. It's a disgusting mess. Some of the worst work I've ever seen. The seller should be avoided, he is high pressure to close the sale and wanted me to sign the title before looking at the car. Unlikely that he is oblivious to how bad this car is. He has no qualms about pushing this disaster to be someone else's costly mistake. Last week he asked for a deposit to hold the car. I previously asked about rust, he said a little on the door bottoms. Upon inspection that was not the case. There was a lot of rust and problems....too much. I asked for my deposit back. He told me no and I wasted his time. Funny he sees it that way, it was 5 hours for me to go to him. He is a liar and a thief. I would be sorry for anyone that ended up with this Packard shaped mess of spray foam, bondo and other cobbed repairs. He said he is going to keep it. Hopefully he does, the pile of junk suits him well. Honestly, giving away $200 to avoid buying this junk was money well spent.....only problem is this guy certainly didn't deserve it. He is willing to blatantly steal from an honest person which is right in line with the low quality of junk he was trying to pass off. -------this is not slandering the guy, it is an accurate and honest review of attempting to do business with him.

Attach file:

jpg  home 1.jpg (325.20 KB)
226957_669411584ec4d.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  home 2.jpg (316.25 KB)
226957_66941367820b5.jpg 2048X1536 px

jpg  home 6.jpg (378.91 KB)
226957_669413f4b0b9d.jpg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 7/14 2:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
FirstEliminator. Congratulations on purchasing that 160. Body looks very solid on this one, though obviously, the car will require a full restoration. But you do have the basis of a really great car. I always say that if you have good sheet metal, you have something, even if the car needs a lot of work. But if the body is bad, you really don't have much at all. I have seen a number of "restored" cars that were nothing more than rolling Bondo buckets. Once, I drove over five hours to Southern NJ to look at a 1940 110 Convertible Coupe billed as a fully restored car needing only a top and a few other small items. When I got there, I found a car that was literally more body filler than body. Though it did have a nice paint job and a well-done interior in red leather, the car seemed to be made almost entirely of Bondo. Fenders were several inches thick in spots. I even detected excessive body filler on the upper windshield pillars. The real killer was when I asked to see the top assembly which was not on the car. Remember that the seller told me that it basically only needed a top. He took me into his garage and showed me a box of rusty, twisted bits of metal which looked like they had gone down with the Titanic. Much of it was corroded to the point of being unusable and several components were missing to boot. I got in my car and left at that point. Never forgot that trip. It involved an overnight stay in the worst motel I ever stayed in in my life. The place was so dirty, that it should have been condemned. Problem was that there was a major rock concert going on in the area that weekend and just about all of the available rooms were booked.

The guy with the 120 sounded like a scammer, so you did well to steer clear of him. Anyone who asks for an upfront deposit to hold a car for you is potential scammer in my book. A legitimate hobbyist would never do this. Not surprised that he grossly misrepresented the condition of the car. You should post some pictures of this mess to warn others to stay away. This car sounds like it may not even be restorable. Rust is almost always much worse than it looks on the surface.

Good luck on your project. Looking forward to seeing photos as work progresses.

Posted on: 7/15 9:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved