Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 95

64avanti, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Engine Oil and Battery Selection
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Using battery cables or some other means of putting resistance between a 12 volt battery and a 6 volt starter will reduce the voltage at the starter.... once the starter picks up the load of cranking the engine. But it will do little or nothing to prevent slamming the starter drive into engagement, which is what often causes mechanical damage.

Posted on: Today 10:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Again my comment from a few months ago rings true...

Virtually any post war car was very well designed and when PROPERLY repaired will give very satisfactory service. Especially for your car which was top of the line after 20 years of iteration on every part of the car: the mid 30's cars onward used nearly the same engine and likewise for all major systems.

So I most highly recommend to first understand the car as-is before planning changes to what can easily be serviced into a well functioning, highly original vehicle.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/414077-6-volt-starter-on-a-12-volt-system/?do=findComment&comment=2680091

Posted on: Today 10:35
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I think some of our responses are a bit off track. I think what Fibonacho is wanting is help/advice on how he can get his engine started up while spending the least amount of money possible. Because the engine may be bad, and may be replaced, he doesn't want to spend money on it. Hence the question about using a 12 volt battery rather than buying a 6 volt he may not need.

Fibonacho, I think Ross' response was good, Ross' responses are always good! Our cars are our babies, and maybe we baby them too much. Like Ross mentioned they are not made out of cotton candy, which is both funny and true!

Posted on: Today 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I can’t imagine a 6v Group 2 battery costing $300 unless they are reproduction Willard or something else that looks period correct. I buy mine at Napa for about $100 and they are more often than not in stock.

The rest of the advice is good but I would fill the cylinders rather than just putting in a few drops. Remember, the spark plug holes are over the values so a few drops there will just make the valves wet and do nothing for the rings. Fill with top end of the engine with oil, let it sit a couple days, crank by hand a quarter turn, refill and repeat for at least a week before blowing out the excess by cranking under power. (Cover the top with al old towel to minimize the mess!)

Posted on: Today 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

53 Cavalier wrote:
I think some of our responses are a bit off track. I think what Fibonacho is wanting is help/advice on how he can get his engine started up while spending the least amount of money possible. Because the engine may be bad, and may be replaced, he doesn't want to spend money on it. Hence the question about using a 12 volt battery rather than buying a 6 volt he may not need.

Fibonacho, I think Ross' response was good, Ross' responses are always good! Our cars are our babies, and maybe we baby them too much. Like Ross mentioned they are not made out of cotton candy, which is both funny and true!

^^^This. I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.

I think we all agree that keeping a car 6V is both good and possible. But that's not what Fibonahcu was asking.

Posted on: Today 13:24
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved