Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 114

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

shifter rod seal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
Can someone please tell me if the seal on the Ultramatic shift rod can be replaced from outside without removing the pan, transmission in the car. Also, is this a seal which could be obtained locally, or does it need to be ordered from one of our parts suppliers. Thanks,
Clifford

Posted on: Yesterday 17:48
 Top  Print   

Re: shifter rod seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You have to cut a hole in the frame or drop the trans. Pan must come off either way and you need to remove the shifter shaft assembly. Then pry out the old seal and replace.

Seal is an SKF 5569 but you will need to buy a new pan gasket anyway.

Posted on: Today 5:29
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hemlock
See User information
Thanks.
Clifford

Posted on: Today 7:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
HPH is correct in describing the proper way to change the throttle or shift shaft seal but on some transmission cases the machined bores the seals press into is deep enough to add a second seal leaving the original in place. If your trans has the deeper bores remove the lever and clean the bore and shaft well so you can check for any gouges or other damage where the lip of the new seal will ride. As long as the bore and shaft is smooth and otherwise in good condition that second seal addition will usually control a leak and can get you by until a time you need to remove the trans for something else. Of course, it is also possible this quick fix has already been done and the bore is full. In that case it would probably be necessary to follow the procedure to get the old seals out so you could do the job correctly.

Posted on: Today 9:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
On my 53 I was able to remove and replace the seal without cutting a hole, removing the transmission or shaft, which was a little unnerving as I knew once I damaged the seal I was committed. My real issue is the shaft is not smooth, so it still leaks.

I'm just going to live with it for now. (I think primarily it leaks when the car is parked, not when the car is running and the torque converter is full.)

My transmission is working well, but one day I may drop it and put a rebuild kit in it. As far as I know it's never been rebuilt, but don't know for sure. It's not that expensive if you can do it yourself.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: Today 9:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved